BCD996XT still at ver. 1.04 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
So I sent my HP-1 back - neat - but kind of a pain.

Really like this bc996xt - does anyone know if there is anything newer than 1.04?

SCPD

QRT
Yep. Don't hold your breath for anymore updates either. Looks like Uniden has thrown everything into the home patrol.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Thanks...

Thanks - as others have noted - I believe they should continue to support their current models ESPECIALLY the expensive ones....ie: BCD396XT / BCD996XT and HP-1.

I like others seriously tried to get the HP-1 to work for me...but no luck. Hated the display - very unsure of settings...basically ok for the Novice but not for me.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Thanks - as others have noted - I believe they should continue to support their current models ESPECIALLY the expensive ones....ie: BCD396XT / BCD996XT and HP-1.

I like others seriously tried to get the HP-1 to work for me...but no luck. Hated the display - very unsure of settings...basically ok for the Novice but not for me.

Yeah....us 396/996XT owners been thrown under the perverbial bus by uniden. If I don't see a Phase II TDMA undate for the 396/996XT line of scanners Upman better duck and lay low because there will be a lot of uniden hardware coming his way.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Yeah....us 396/996XT owners been thrown under the perverbial bus by uniden. If I don't see a Phase II TDMA undate for the 396/996XT line of scanners Upman better duck and lay low because there will be a lot of uniden hardware coming his way.

It's already been stated that TDMA support is NOT coming for the HP-1 as it would require new hardware, so what makes you think a firmware update is going to make it available on an older model?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If I don't see a Phase II TDMA undate for the 396/996XT line of scanners Upman better duck and lay low because there will be a lot of uniden hardware coming his way.

That is not going to happen, it's been discussed here multiple times. That's a hardware issue, not a firmware issue. The current hardware cannot physically support TDMA, it's as simple as that.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
It's already been stated that TDMA support is NOT coming for the HP-1 as it would require new hardware, so what makes you think a firmware update is going to make it available on an older model?

The 396/996XT model scanners are STILL being marketed as Unidens flag ship base/mobile scanner so I wouldn't consider it an "older model" just yet. I also would expect full support for a model that has not been discontinued or replaced by another model yet. The HP-1 is not a replacement for the this line of scanners, it's a hole new product line. Since the 396/996XT are current production models still in production I would expect nothing but full support for them which would include support for current radio systems that are popping up all over(phase II TDMA). If not then...Uniden is just turning into another sham corporation to sell as much over hyped dumbed down scanners as they can and will leave the real radio enthusisest scratching their heads wondering wtf happened. Bottom line is Uniden needs to support their current top end products and the 396/996XT are current top end products.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I have been a longtime Uniden fan and user; however, after my experiences with the BC785, BC796, BCD396/996, and most recently the BCD396XT/996XT, the lack of continued firmware support and enhancements, etc from Uniden I have since moved over to GRE America products. I have the PSR-500/600 as well as the PSR-800, their support is top notch, their customer service is top notch, their digital decode works far better than the Uniden's ever did and they still continue to support firmware updates and enhancements even for the PSR-500 which by the way has been out longer than the Uniden BCD396/996 series.

Uniden seems to release new product and dump support for the older product forcing people to upgrade the entire radio for the new features. I remember a few years back with the whole ESN number registration that Uniden stated this was to provide for paid optional enhancements; to-date, where are these enhancements?

Uniden, you're a great conventional scanner but your lack of support and enhancements is driving longtime customers away for good... If there are no further enhancements to the BCD396XT/996XT line of radios; I personally will never purchase another Uniden product moving forward.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I will never say that we won't provide updates or support for older scanners. Our track record says otherwise. We released updates for the BC296D and BC796D over 5 years after they were discontinued.

The ESN was used in the BCD396T/BCD996T to provide the Rebanding Update which was originally planned as a paid update. We instead provided those enhancements for free (but I'll gladly accept any donations you want to provide toward our development cost for this free update to 6 scanner models, 2 of which were long discontinued).

Highpockets

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I have been a longtime Uniden fan and user; however, after my experiences with the BC785, BC796, BCD396/996, and most recently the BCD396XT/996XT, the lack of continued firmware support and enhancements, etc from Uniden I have since moved over to GRE America products. I have the PSR-500/600 as well as the PSR-800, their support is top notch, their customer service is top notch, their digital decode works far better than the Uniden's ever did and they still continue to support firmware updates and enhancements even for the PSR-500 which by the way has been out longer than the Uniden BCD396/996 series.

Uniden seems to release new product and dump support for the older product forcing people to upgrade the entire radio for the new features. I remember a few years back with the whole ESN number registration that Uniden stated this was to provide for paid optional enhancements; to-date, where are these enhancements?

Uniden, you're a great conventional scanner but your lack of support and enhancements is driving longtime customers away for good... If there are no further enhancements to the BCD396XT/996XT line of radios; I personally will never purchase another Uniden product moving forward.

And to think they will most likely come out with a new version of the HP when phase 2 gets rolling. I (speaking for myself) hope if they do come out with a new model it's the next generation of the 996XT. I also hope if GRE comes out with a new model it's the next generation of the 600, and get away from these database dependant ones. Time will tell... :D

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If I post what I really want to post, I'll almost certainly get another warning from the mods for being a sarcastic #%!@, so I'll just bite my tongue for a rare change. :twisted:

SCPD

QRT
I will never say that we won't provide updates or support for older scanners. Our track record says otherwise. We released updates for the BC296D and BC796D over 5 years after they were discontinued.
It has been almost 2 YEARS since an update for a CURRENT scanner model (XTs)! So how about some updates/support for CURRENT scanner models!
Non of your P25 scanners follow a patch properly on a p25 system. GRE fixed this OVER a YEAR ago! Still nothing from your company.
Let me guess what your response will be. You can not say what is in the works. The standard BS response from Uniden.

Fenix

Premium Subscriber
It has been almost 2 YEARS since an update for a CURRENT scanner model (XTs)! So how about some updates/support for CURRENT scanner models!
Non of your P25 scanners follow a patch properly on a p25 system. GRE fixed this OVER a YEAR ago! Still nothing from your company.
Let me guess what your response will be. You can not say what is in the works. The standard BS response from Uniden.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Fenix

Premium Subscriber

I agree 100%!

I own multiple Uniden products , including the BCD396XT. I was going to ask my wife to get me a BCD996XT for Christmas this year, but the lack up updates and support along with this "We can't tell you what we have planned" motto.

I will be asking santa for a GRE mobile unit this Christmas if something doesn't change.

I feel like I bought a BCD396XT and now its at the bottom of the support chain and some crappy home patrol unit has unidens top attention. (I personally feel the home patrol is built for people who know nothing more than to press a power button)

Last edited:

hfxChris

Database Admin
The 396/996XT model scanners are STILL being marketed as Unidens flag ship base/mobile scanner so I wouldn't consider it an "older model" just yet.
The HP-1 was released after the 396/996XT models, thus they are older. I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider them to be older...

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The HP-1 was released after the 396/996XT models, thus they are older. I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider them to be older...

Call it older, call it what you want but the 396XT is THE current portable being marketed by uniden and the 996XT is THE current base/mobile. I don't know what the heck to call the HP-1, its not really a portable or a base. It's a hi-bred wigit or something....

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I don't know what the heck to call the HP-1, its not really a portable or a base. It's a hi-bred wigit or something....

After the Extreme Upgrade rolls out the HP-1 will be the most feature laden scanner on the market and the only one with both a Unitrunker/T88 on screen feature as well as unattended conventional/trunked discovery modes.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Highpockets

After the Extreme Upgrade rolls out the HP-1 will be the most feature laden scanner on the market and the only one with both a Unitrunker/T88 on screen feature as well as unattended conventional/trunked discovery modes.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Your right there, most feature laden scanner on the market without P25 phase 2 decoding. I guess some users will be looking for a new scanner soon. :) But with the upgrades the HP-1E is right up there at the top. You can always dedicate the HP-1E as a Unitrunker/T88 Unit after phase 2 takes hold. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.