BCD996XT Tone-Out Search Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As I was listening to a fire call today I watched the display of the BCD996XT as it displayed the tones in the Tone-Out Search mode and I was trying to tell if it only displays the the first pair of tones decoded when the call involves more than one pair of tones being received. I did have the Delay enabled for 2 seconds and now I am trying 0 seconds to see if that captures multiple tone sets when logging on Butel ARC XT Pro. I have reviewed the manual and the excerpt from that states:
"Set Delay Time

Set the number of seconds the scanner should wait after a transmission stops before moving on to the next channel. Select 0, 1, 2 (default), 5, 10, or 30 seconds . To have the scanner wait for your input before moving on to the next channel, select Infinite ."
ToneOutFor < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
but my question is if the delay actual holds the first set of tones found as well. I am inclined to think that it does and if I am looking to log all of the tones received I should keep Tone-Out Search Delay set to 0."

I am also wondering if the Alert Tones sent by Communication Centers are pretty common around the US. For example, while in the Tone-Out Search mode I will sometimes get 800 hZ and 1500 hZ, or vice-versa, that seems to be an alert tone for medicals in my area. On the other hand, I often get 1000 hZ when they transmit the alert tone for fire calls. Are those tones pretty common for US fire calls?

The other question I have is if anybody has experimented with Tone-Out Search on conventional channels that use that very alert tone for hot calls? I have heard some agencies transmit an alert tone for medicals, robberies, etc. I was thinking it might be interesting to program the conventional police channel in the Tone-Out Search mode to see if it always opens up for 1000 hZ alert tone.

Last edited:

RJS

Premium Subscriber
I am using the ARC-XT PRO and it logs the tones so you don't have to hurry and write them down. As far as the settings, I have my 996 set at 2 sec delay and is working fine. If you don't have the ARC, set the display to infinity and then the two tones will stay illuminated for you to record them.

I have noticed on the ARC-PRO that the tone search jumps after a hit, maybe a software bug. I just reset by moving the dial from on of the ten back to my search freq.

I'm not sure on your other questions, as tones are all new to me.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.