BCD996XT vs GRE-PSR-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrequenC

I hope I’m not off topic because I am mentioning a GRE scanner in this post however I was wondering if any long time BCD996XT users have ever done a comparison features and quality to the PSR-600. It’s been many years since the Whammo 10 came on the scene and technology has changed dramatically. Would it be fair to say that they are equal and it is just a matter of preference or does one rank higher than the other "IN YOUR OPINION” Any help, suggestions or opinions you offer would be most appreciated.
Greetings form Michigan

Highpockets

I hope I’m not off topic because I am mentioning a GRE scanner in this post however I was wondering if any long time BCD996XT users have ever done a comparison features and quality to the PSR-600. It’s been many years since the Whammo 10 came on the scene and technology has changed dramatically. Would it be fair to say that they are equal and it is just a matter of preference or does one rank higher than the other "IN YOUR OPINION” Any help, suggestions or opinions you offer would be most appreciated.
Greetings form Michigan

I have both the 600 and the 996 and enjoy them both, I like the encryption mute on conventional frequencies on the 996, but, don't like that they left out 3-4 seconds on the delay setting, you go from 2 second delay to 5 seconds. I also like the bigger screen on the 996. I think my 600 decodes digital just a little better. Two very good scanners! :)

captclint

Mentor
Here's something that may help:

See: Digital Scanner Comparison Chart - The RadioReference Wiki and BCD996XT vs GRE PSR-600(at the end)
The basic considerations are as follows:

1. GRE is more sensitive(gets weaker signals), but that very feature makes them prone to overload if in the city or near any type of radio/TV/cell towers. Previously, GRE was better with digital, but I think that difference has been minimized with the latest firmware from Uniden. GRE is the most aggressive and slightly better on customer relations.
  2. Uniden does not overload as much (hence is not as sensitive), and generally has more features, which you will probably appreciate once you are familiar. For example, they skip over encrypted communications (as mentioned), while GRE just hangs on them producing annoying noise. Also has GPS system control (limited value for a Base unit), and Fire Tone outs (limited value IMHO)
  3. You really need software to program and better understand a digital radio. There is an excellent program for Unidens that is free: FreeScan. GRE typically costs $30-$40
You will find diehards in either camp, but I think they all generally agree on the points above, so you need to decide if you are far enough from the radio signals to justify a GRE.

Last edited:

jdebona

I don't have the 996XT, but I do own a 996T and loved it until about a week ago. The headphone jack sticks and cuts off the internal speaker now. My unit is 2 years old, so it is out of warranty of course. I made them what I thought was a reasonable request to either repair it for free (since it was a widespread problem) or allow me to trade up to a 996XT for a reasonable price. Not to hijack the thread, but this was their response:
Our Solution :
Thank you for using our system.

We can not make arrangements to repair a product that is out of warranty free of charge nor do we have a "trade-in" program to upgrade to a new product.

Sincerely,

You may respond to this message to update your question.

I loved the 996T, but I would consider whether you would want to purchase a product from Uniden based on that.

SuperTex

I have all three... 996xt, 996t and GRE 600 (actually have two of those).

I might use mine a little differently than some, I try to use the units for what they excel at. I find the GRE 600 is excellent for Conventional (single channel) P25, so I have those units on "pause" on the Conventional P25 agencies I am interested in hearing. The audio seems a little more "natural" to my ears.

The 996xt absolutely does a wicked job on trunked P25, so I monitor two local Provincial Fleetnet towers with it. The 996xt will pick up stuff that the 996t will not. There is a big difference between the 996xt and the 996t, they are very similar but the performance of the xt is light years ahead of the t in my opinion. I also love the talkgroup priority feature on the xt.

I think the 996xt is the most well rounded unit of them all, but I wouldn't get rid of the 600's either. I want two more 996xt's and then that would pretty much be the end of buying more units. It all depends on what you want to listen to, really this is what you must analyze to make your decision regarding purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.