BCD996XT vs. HP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

taito2000

Premium Subscriber
I'm fairly new to scanning and I can't decide between those two. I'm leaning towards the BCD996XT because I've found better prices, but I like the easier setup of the HP1. Basically, what should factor in more: price, or which is easier to use?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

D

DaveNF2G

See the thread, "Choosing between Unidens." I started it yesterday and there have been several comments already.

kbehning

Premium Subscriber
The XT series scanners have a pretty big learning curve and if you plan to use them on several systems, you should really get software to help.

Really, only you can decide where you fall upon this spectrum: ease of use (especially if traveling to many locations that you don't want to take the time to manually figure out and program in, as opposed to wanting access to lots of detailed control features with a clearly higher operator workload (both setup and during use [quick key assignments and menu functions etc]).

Usually the people who want full control know who they are. People who bring up ease of use, generally should go with the simpler scanners. Simpler in this case lining up with the home patrol.

rwier

.......... Simpler in this case lining up with the home patrol.

The HP wears many helmets/masks, lol. I personally have used the HP-1, with the payed BIG "E", to perform analysis involving many other brands/models of scanners, antennas, and other accessories, all at the same time. This can, if used in an very controlled "open mind" environment, result in old scanners, that were previously thought to be inferior, tweeked to come up to speed. I have written many words on this subject in previous posts. Too many words to type again. A search of the archives will show my views on the subject.

When I see posts that degrade one brand/model that I personally have working every day, and at the same time exult another brand/model that I personally have working every day, I have a laughter conniption fit. These PERCEIVED differences are the result of either user error, user incompetence, or outright industrial sabotage.

If I could only have one scanner? To much mental effort to try to decide. But if you have, or think you might in the future have, multiple scanners (even old, still working scanners, are included), the HP-1 (E) option can allow you to make them all equals, all superior, all performing above and beyond, what others with the same equipment are experiencing, or even believe is possible..

I know, I don't make any friends with these posts. I just have to say it anyway, even if it is perceived as proof positive of insanity, lol.

Rob

Last edited:

taito2000

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the replies; they were very helpful! Ultimately, I decided on the BCD669XT after reading many different reviews, articles, etc. I may look into getting the HP1 at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.