BCD996XT won't recive in truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I lt will turn on and scan but will not receive. Took handheld out and hooked up antenna and antenna receives to handheld. changed antennas 996 will not receive. It's mounted near my floor heater could it have over heated something! I am sending it out Monday to the place I bought it??? ANY ideas Now it will not turn on at all!! also Why can I not post this post in the UNIDEN section??? Says it won't let me any answers admins!!!

lost_in_maine

I lt will turn on and scan but will not receive. Took handheld out and hooked up antenna and antenna receives to handheld. changed antennas 996 will not receive. It's mounted near my floor heater could it have over heated something! I am sending it out Monday to the place I bought it??? ANY ideas Now it will not turn on at all!!

Have you tried hooking it up to AC?
how is the DC power wired to the radio?
Check all your fuses?

SCPD

QRT

Does the scanner work in the house?Did you check?
Try rehitting the radio with your programming if that doesnt work you may have something in the truck that
interferes with the radio,like a bad distributor cap or something IF it works in the house.
I doubt its the scanner's fault.Try the back of the set antenna if your mobile antenna doesnt work..
I would keep the scanner away from heat etc.

SCPD

QRT
did u?

Did you update your database on the program you use for your 996XT?
Did you rehit the scanner with the programming?
Make sure the attenuator is off?
Enable all your quickkeys ?

Does it receive weather channels?or FM broadcast band?if so,does it do it well or poorly?

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes .yes and yes. It turns on and scannes. But no receiving. No weather. No nothing. I'm heading to Scanner Master in Mass in the am

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
scanner

Did you try a full reset to factory default everything then try again,I had an issue with mine once when it got jumbled up and it just needed a full reset and then of course a reprogramming.If this does not fix it though,I would be cautious to put it back in the truck without first having my alternator checked and the install checked over for "issues" like bent cables,or poor wiring.PS I would move it off the floor.

My friend had an issue once where her car stereo kept dying,one after the other,she had an delco alternator putting out AC and this killed three car stereos.Try the reset frst,ok?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Bad choice of power. Cigarette lighters can have voltage spikes, particularly when you first turn over the vehicle. In addition the power can fluctuate even during idling. Additionally it's unfiltered, so additional noise can be a problem.

Time to send it in, I think, and also time to do a little homework on proper DC wiring for your truck...

Mike

SCPD

QRT
voltage

All the power comes from the battery and the alternator,if the scanner did get damaged theres probably a bad alternator that caused it.My 996Xt went through hell,and if resetting and reprogramming didnt fix it,then
you probably have some problems there,hope you get them resolved!

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Its not a bad alternator. The scanner is junk. It won't turn on in the house and in took the house scanner and now works in the truck but the truck scanner is junk

Sent via Tapatalk from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

tjkruck

Open it up and check the solder connection where the BNC connects to the board and at the socket. Probably got hot enough to melt a little of the solder by the heater. I had this happen to my old scanner back in the day

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I'm not opening nothin up because it's going back to where u bought it tomorrow. I don't need no warranty not be a valid

Sent via Tapatalk from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried doing a weather scan? If it won't even receive on the weather channels, most likely you have a bad scanner - using different antenna combinations rule out a bad antenna possibility.

If you do get weather, then it might be back to the programming "drawing board".

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
yes I swapped and tryed all that.. The radio is going back to the company and there sending me a new radio.. Thanks for all the help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.