BCDx35HP Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
Being as I absolutely despise how the radio reference database is put together and channels are tagged. If I was to purchase either the handheld or base model of this scanner, could I completely wipe the memory and program it myself? I like the option of unlimited ID's instead of a max of 500 per system on my 396XT.

Thanks.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The main database is integral to the scanner and software, but you can tell the scanner to ignore that database and run purely from your own Favorites Lists.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
So I would have to completely reprogram say the Louisiana LWIN system and ignore the stock on? If so I guess I would have to buy a larger SD card? What is the maximum support memory card size?

phask

Premium Subscriber
I you want it different than RR - yes you would need to roll your own. However, if it were me, I'd start with the RR DB and modify as needed.

You can also but and use ARC. It does have some different options for ID., but overall IMHO not that great a difference.

Why not go ahead and down load Sentinel and try it?

So I would have to completely reprogram say the Louisiana LWIN system and ignore the stock on? If so I guess I would have to buy a larger SD card? What is the maximum support memory card size?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
32GB. The default database only uses a few megabytes, so you have plenty of room even on the stock 4GB card.

The easiest way to get what you want is to extract your local stuff from the database to a Favorite List, using the "Add Channels on Range" function in Sentinel. Then you can go into the favorite list and re-label entries there however you like.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber

The complete database takes little more than 20 MB. You won't need a larger card.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
I'll probably get the 436 just for the portability. I'll use my 396XT and the freescan program/app for online stuff.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'll buy one and figure it out. Next question 436 or 536...?

Depends on your intended usage. If you want to switch between handheld, home, and vehicle use, a 436 is your best bet. For a permanent setup at home or in a vehicle, get a 536.

I got a 436, and have RAM mounts for it in my truck and on my living room coffee table. To switch, all I have to do is unplug the power and antenna cables, and pull it out of the mount, then snap it into the other mount and plug in antenna and power and I'm good to go.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
Depends on your intended usage. If you want to switch between handheld, home, and vehicle use, a 436 is your best bet. For a permanent setup at home or in a vehicle, get a 536.

I got a 436, and have RAM mounts for it in my truck and on my living room coffee table. To switch, all I have to do is unplug the power and antenna cables, and pull it out of the mount, then snap it into the other mount and plug in antenna and power and I'm good to go.
436 it is! Thanks everyone.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

No. If your only issue is how Systems/Departments/Channels are alpha tagged, it can be dealt with. Create Favorites Lists, importing the desired system(s) from the main database. You can then re-name any alpha tags to what you like.

It is just a matter of taking the time to do so.

You won't "need" to buy a new SD card. Most "power scannists" have gotten larger cards, however. If a lot of audio is recorded, the bigger (up to 32 GB) the better. Also it never hurts to have a spare card or two - there have been several reports of card corruption necessitating replacement.

I have several spare cards, each of which contains a profile specific to what I'm doing. I'll have a "Car - Home" card, and two "Car - Travel" cards.

Given the relative low cost of cards, which you can get most anywhere (Best Buy, Walmart, on-line), it's a good investment to keep you going.

Status
Not open for further replies.