BCDx36HP Computer Software Programming Request/Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I recently picked up 2 BCD536HPs. One will be remote mounted in my vehicle (2006 Chevy Trailblazer) under the rear deck, and controled with a Windows Tablet. I have everything setup in the house right now, and the system works with regards to the tablet being able to control the scanner and give a remote display of the display. This is replacing a BCD996XT with the RH-96 control head, so it's a matter of running the RS-232 cable-everything else was already in place. The system is part of a remote fuse block that controls all of my electronics, and is controlled by a relay which is switched at the dash.

The issue is the display size available in the software. Considering it's going to be mounted on a RAM mount to my left, I need a bigger display/interface than either Proscan or ARC536 provide. I have looked at the various magnification programs out there, but none of them are window specific. I am not a programmer, so I do not know what would be involved in making the display/control windows able to increase in size. I would like the option for 100%, 200% or full screen-am I overreaching?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Do you have the ability to change the resolution on your tablet? If so, lowering it, will enlarge the software image on the screen. With todays HD displays, it should still be bold, and clear.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I tried that initially, lowest resolution is 1024x768, and didn't make any significant difference from the native 1200x800. Right now it looks like ARC536 is a bit better than Proscan, but if the displays could be made scaleable, either one would do the job.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I tried that initially, lowest resolution is 1024x768, and didn't make any significant difference from the native 1200x800. Right now it looks like ARC536 is a bit better than Proscan, but if the displays could be made scaleable, either one would do the job.

Citywide173, I wish there was some magical tool that will auto scale. Much like a web browser auto sizes when Cntl Key pressed and mouse wheel on Chrome. I'm sure FireFox and IE can do the same.

I haven't found any Windows API's that will do it but one should exist if Chrome can do it. Maybe ,they rolled their own in Assembly.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Bob,

Thank you for the insight. I'm not sure if I'm in a unique position with my need, but I blame Uniden for not providing an option for remote mounting similar to the RH-96. They may not have sold as many remote units as they wanted, but the fact that they are now almost impossible to find indicates that there was enough demand to justify their existence. Being forced to find an alternative that works within my already existing infrastructure, when for years it's been hot swappable (15, 996T then a 996XT) is something that could drive someone to a competitor that offers the alternative (WS-1090 when it comes out.)

I wouldn't expect a software company to redesign for one user, but the fact that you and Gommert actually read the forums and interact is appreciated. You don't see that any more

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob,

Thank you for the insight. I'm not sure if I'm in a unique position with my need, but I blame Uniden for not providing an option for remote mounting similar to the RH-96. They may not have sold as many remote units as they wanted, but the fact that they are now almost impossible to find indicates that there was enough demand to justify their existence. Being forced to find an alternative that works within my already existing infrastructure, when for years it's been hot swappable (15, 996T then a 996XT) is something that could drive someone to a competitor that offers the alternative (WS-1090 when it comes out.)

I wouldn't expect a software company to redesign for one user, but the fact that you and Gommert actually read the forums and interact is appreciated. You don't see that any more

Have you tried the ProScan Web Server using Chrome browser? The virtual display and control will auto size. Set up the Web Server on the same machine as the browser and point the browser towards the server IP.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Bob, it will be a mobile installation. The radio is mounted under the cargo area of a SUV and the RS-232 feeds up to the Winbook mounted in the front. The pic on the table was taken after proof of concept was achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.