BCDx36HP not scanning a system

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawk

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else have this issue? The system is sent to the scanner via sentinel and shows up in the list but the scanner does not scan the system. Only after changing the SQK and then changing it back to the original SQK does the system finally scan. Occurred on both the 536 and 436.

earlrwells

Premium Subscriber
Same thing with me guys, still having issues. See it in Scanner List, but no scan...

blackhawk

Premium Subscriber
Harry, did changing the SQK and then changing it back work for you too?

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else have this issue? The system is sent to the scanner via sentinel and shows up in the list but the scanner does not scan the system. Only after changing the SQK and then changing it back to the original SQK does the system finally scan. Occurred on both the 536 and 436.

Did you check the box "erase favorites" when you copied from Sentinel to the scanner?

I have gotten some strange combinations of old and new FLs when I did not do this.

I assume you checked the normal things like:

Avoids checked
In your Profile have both "Monitor & Download" ON
Have all the appropriate "Service Types" ON

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Blackhawk the change of the quick key number did not work for me. The tip about erasing favorites was a good one as I wasn't doing that. I'm now close to getting it working as I had planned.

SCPD

QRT
Yes it happened to me twice on two systems. First I reset the scanner and re-uploaded everything and that did not fix it. I finally found another QK assigned (how, I have no idea) buried somewhere and changed it to none. Then it worked. When the second problem happened, I looked for that hidden QK found it and changed it to none, and everything was fine that time also. Have no idea how it got that way.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
As stupid as I feel this is something else to consider.

The other night I spent a couple of hours pulling out what little hair I have left and generally going crazy trying to figure out why the thing wouldn't scan some updated things I had put in it.

Every time I thought I had it figured out it still wouldn't work.

Then I remembered something I'd seen and went and looked, sure enough I'd forgotten basics 101 on the thing.

The stuff I added did not have the QKs enabled in the per channel/dept options settings. No QKs means no scanning. :(

Once I enabled them it worked perfectly.

Don't know but thought it might help some.

blackhawk

Premium Subscriber
All the QKs were enabled. Sent to scanner with a different software and I don't have the problem anymore.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The stuff I added did not have the QKs enabled in the per channel/dept options settings. No QKs means no scanning. :(

Once I enabled them it worked perfectly.

This is the issue in these situations. You may think you have it enabled, but that's not necessarily the case. For some reason, either the scanner or Sentinel is "shutting off" quick keys that are not in use, either when you power up the scanner, or when it is read into Sentinel from the SD card. Either way, you have quick keys that are disabled, and you don't know it; when you put something in a "new" quick key, it remains disabled, even though you can see it in the scanner. This happened to me twice before I got it sorted out. Now, every time I write to the scanner, I triple-check that my desired quick keys are enabled.

I know you guys above are saying this isn't true, that you had them enabled, but read the radio into Sentinel, then go check which quick keys are enabled. I think you'll be surprised.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jay. I wish I could claim scanner problem but for me it was all my fault. I had the QKs for what I had in there enabled and all the rest disabled. When I added more stuff I forgot all about that which caused my headache. Once I thought to check them I saw I hadn't enabled the previously off keys and once I did so my headache disappeared.

Believe me I thought I'd finally found one of these "Issues" that were being talked about. LOL

Turned out the "Issue" was me. :)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
As much as I don't like insinuating that people have screwed up, it's the case in a lot of these situations. If you'll allow me to toot my own horn, even I have been caught off guard and confused by some of the settings in these new radios, and I've been messing around with scanners since the very early days. Everyone makes mistakes, and I'm not out to belittle anyone or point out their flaws.. just the opposite. All the same, it'd be nice if people would not be so quick to blame the equipment. ;)

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
As much as I don't like insinuating that people have screwed up, it's the case in a lot of these situations. If you'll allow me to toot my own horn, even I have been caught off guard and confused by some of the settings in these new radios, and I've been messing around with scanners since the very early days. Everyone makes mistakes, and I'm not out to belittle anyone or point out their flaws.. just the opposite. All the same, it'd be nice if people would not be so quick to blame the equipment. ;)

True and agree.

Every time I think I'm getting a good handle on this thing I find something else new to learn about it. It sure is different. Its been fun though, mostly.

johnwprice

Premium Subscriber
Why does Sentinel not have any of all the Federal Agencies like the FBI in the CT listing?

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Well I finally got mine running on the system I wanted. I should have gone back to start over long ago. All my tweaking seemed to make it worse. I agree the radio is a good one but it has been a steep learning curve for me. What did help was knowing Sentinel from the Home Patrol. I also got some good hints from the Easier to Read Manual online.

All the tips suggested were good to know. Especially checking the delete favorites lists on the software.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I'll throw this in again for any newcomers.

This gentleman has done some excellent in depth "How To" videos on virtually every aspect of the 436/536.

I highly recommend watching his videos either in their entirety or specifically to address many possible problems and for general knowledge.

He is K4DPS at K4DPS - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.