BCDx36HP Questions / Answers Help Topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Since the main topics are getting crowed I figure we could have a Question / Answer topic so we can help each other out.

I'll start first.
1. How do you get the unit to display SYSTEM ID and WACN information?
2. Can you set CC Only in custom search?
3. Does Analyze Mode work? Say Not Available and nothing in manual.
4. I notice the scanner hangs when turning Access Point on or off. I have to cycle power to start over.
5. If I have 2 BCD536HP, one in car and one in shack. Can I simply put the car MicroSD in the shack 536 to update it and take it back out to car?
6. In the National Database systems, seem to hang on (US-Interoperability-Public Safety Common-700 Mhz) and (US-Civil Air Patrol-Nationwide) for an extremely long time. Scans the rest of the National Database just fine.

Last edited:

Steve2003

Since the main topics are getting crowed I figure we could have a Question / Answer topic so we can help each other out.

I'll start first.
4. I notice the scanner hangs when turning Access Point on or off. I have to cycle power to start over.
5. If I have 2 BCD536HP, one in car and one in shack. Can I simply put the car MicroSD in the shack 536 to update it and take it back out to car?
6. In the National Database systems, seem to hang on (US-Interoperability-Public Safety Common-700 Mhz) and (US-Civil Air Patrol-Nationwide) for an extremely long time. Scans the rest of the National Database just fine.
7. How does the scanner handle P25 patching?
8. Any new programmable "Alert" tones?
9. Can you program i0 as a "wildcard" for Private / iCalls?
10. While holding on a channel, can you still jump to a talkgroup by keying in [TGID] + [Hold]?

wise871

Database Admin
11. While in Trunk Discovery and the screen displays "Trunk Discovery In Progress", should talk groups already loaded be flashing on the screen even though you select New Only & Compare to Database?

wise871

Database Admin
7. How does the scanner handle P25 patching?
8. Any new programmable "Alert" tones?
9. Can you program i0 as a "wildcard" for Private / iCalls?
10. While holding on a channel, can you still jump to a talkgroup by keying in [TGID] + [Hold]?

7. The DOD LMR system I monitor patches all the time and it sounded great if that the question.
8. None that I seen so far.
9. Yes, I added it and then avoided it be causes they go crazy in my area with iCall.
10. Yes. You go Channel + TGID + Channel

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I'm very familiar with the DMA scanners, but HP and Sentinel is all new to me. Looks like the 436 is a 396 with HP features so I will have some advantage. I'm sure I will have questions when mine comes and I start playing with it. I hope we won't have to sift through all of the "Uniden Bashing" like in the other threads.

I did have 1 question. With the weekly updates if something in a favorites list is updated in the DB, does it update it "while in the list" or must it be done manually?

Last edited:

Steve2003

7. The DOD LMR system I monitor patches all the time and it sounded great if that the question.
What happens if you are holding on a talkgroup that has been patched with another group?
Patch_Screen.png

12. When holding a System, Department, or Channel/Group, does the scanner stay stopped on a single site or are other sites checked in the background while scanning?

Steve2003

I did have 1 question. With the weekly updates if something in a favorites list is updated in the DB, does it update it "while in the list" or must it be done manually?

Someone can correct me, but I believe you have to update the list manually (the "full database" list updates automatically).

wise871

Database Admin
I'm very familiar with the DMA scanners, but HP and Sentinel is all new to me. Looks like the 436 is a 396 with HP features so I will have some advantage. I'm sure I will have questions when mine comes and I start playing with it. I hope we won't have to sift through all of the "Uniden Bashing" like in the other threads.

It only updates the main database. You would have to update your favorites manually.

wise871

Database Admin
I'll have to get back to you on that Steve. I monitor the Navy Regional Dispatcher center and they use a patched TGID and I hear the full conversation. When I run Unitrunker on my other scanner I see both TGID's displayed, one is the RDC and the other is the local channel.

Steve2003

On the Home Patrol-1 there was an option to turn off nationwide when scanning the full database. Can you do the same with the BCDx36HP?

BTW, thanks for answering all our questions!

wise871

Database Admin
On the Home Patrol-1 there was an option to turn off nationwide when scanning the full database. Can you do the same with the BCDx36HP?

BTW, thanks for answering all our questions!

Yes. You can mix or match what you want to monitor.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Since I ordered both 436 and 536, my shipment will be a little behind you admins that ordered only 536’s. Since I don’t have the units yet, I cannot speak authoritatively, but it appears operation is very similar to the HP1.

On the HP1, for systems that are already programmed, you can go into advanced and Analyze system. Under Current Activity, you will see the system, site, and voice channel activity.
This is an interesting one. You can do this in the x96XT’s, but I don’t know how in the HP1. Anyone?
If there is no current documentation for Analyze mode on the x36HP, then check out the HP1 manual and see if this clears it up for you. http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/HomePatrol/WebHome/HomePatrol_OM_V2_Extreme.pdf
I’ll let you know my experience when I get the radio. Do you have the same issue on both of your radios? If so, then it might be a bug.
The programming is all file based, and can be copied with a computer. If you want to duplicate the scanner setup, copy favorites from your shack scanner’s card to your car scanner’s card using your computer.
All of the common 700mhz freqs are programmed with a NAC. Most of the CAP freqs are programmed with a NAC or PL. If you have interference that opens squelch on one of the freqs with CSQ or a non-matching NAC/DPL/PL then the scanner will pause on the freq and it takes a little time to process. Try monitoring all of these freqs with CSQ and see if there are some offending frequencies. Here are links to the feqs that are part of those lists:
Interoperability Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Civil Air Patrol Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

wise871

Database Admin
The only way to add CSQ is too add them to my favorites from the main database and see if it happens. For now I avoided them since I don't monitor it anyway. And yes to happening on both scanners.

phask

Premium Subscriber
The only way to add CSQ is too add them to my favorites from the main database and see if it happens. For now I avoided them since I don't monitor it anyway. And yes to happening on both scanners.
Similar to HP1 - not sure which, but I avoided them soon after they became available. (that was one of the updates way back on a -1)

wise871

Database Admin
UPMan
I'm still having issues with both radios regarding Access Point. When I turn Access Point on it just sits at “Processing – Please Wait”. It will sit like that forever until I turn off power. Then when I turn the scanner back on it will show AP and it has the information and my iPhone will see the signal.

Without changing a thing, later that day I will turn on the scanner and it shows AP. I check to see if my phone can see the signal, it doesn’t. I verified the Wifi information and it shows it enabled with the IP address. My phone is just not seeing it. So I turn AP off and it sits at “Processing – Please Wait” once again. I’ve let it sit for 10 min one time until I cycled power.

Also the Wifi Dongle is plugged in and and power led is on. I double check.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
#4 (access point): see private email (letting you try unreleased firmware against this). Used your @radioreference.com address.
#6 (long conventional scan time): Have been hunting this gremlin for months, as it seems to come and go. Finally nailed it. Unreleased f/w sending for #4 should fix it.

UPDATE: Email to you bounced. Need an addy for you.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Feedback from wise871 was that the firmware update fixed the issue. This update will likely be public by the time most of your receive your scanners.

wise871

Database Admin
#4 (access point): see private email (letting you try unreleased firmware against this). Used your @radioreference.com address.
#6 (long conventional scan time): Have been hunting this gremlin for months, as it seems to come and go. Finally nailed it. Unreleased f/w sending for #4 should fix it.

UPDATE: Email to you bounced. Need an addy for you.

UPMan
I didn't see #6 until now. I went back out to my truck and turned on national database and all my favorites. I defiantly see a faster scan rate. Nice touch. :)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Discovery Mode Question:

What happens when doing a Discovery Mode Session on a trunked system and an encrypted talkgroup is "discovered"? Is it skipped or does something show up in the log?

Status
Not open for further replies.