BCDx396HP Sentinel vs. Arc536Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, IMHO, ARC536Pro was a waste of money for me. I like Butel products, but I find Sentinel to be my goto program for programming the HP and SDS series scanners. I can't even remember the last time I opened ARC536Pro.

To throw this out there, I find ProScan is becoming my favorite software for programming.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel does certain things (update FW, edit profile) that can't be done in ARC536. ARC536 does certain things(cut, copy, paste) that can't be done in Sentinel.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Honestly, IMHO, ARC536Pro was a waste of money for me. I like Butel products, but I find Sentinel to be my goto program for programming the HP and SDS series scanners. I can't even remember the last time I opened ARC536Pro.

To throw this out there, I find ProScan is becoming my favorite software for programming.
ProScan can do everything ARC536 Pro can do, it's almost $20 cheaper, and it supports a number of other models.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
So what's the difference between the BCDx396HP Sentinel and Arc536Pro?

You need to use Sentinel to update the scanner's firmware and database.

ARC536Pro can download directly from the RR database (assuming you are a subscriber) instead of pulling from the weekly extract like Sentinel does. Probably no big deal most of the time, but if you are trying to monitor a new system that's being updated regularly on RR that's a nice feature. ARC536Pro also allows you to control your scanner from the PC.

I don't think you made a mistake if you purchased it. As others have pointed out, ProScan also can download directly from RR and has remote control, but honestly for *programming* I prefer ARC536Pro. Don't get me wrong; I love ProScan and have it running 24x7 controlling a number of Uniden scanners, but I find the Favorite List editor a bit clunky, so if I'm adding new systems I use ARC536Pro. ARC536Pro also allows you to assign LED colors and options (on/slow blink/fast blink) when you import from RR which I really like.

engineco16

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input.

You need to use Sentinel to update the scanner's firmware and database.

ARC536Pro can download directly from the RR database (assuming you are a subscriber) instead of pulling from the weekly extract like Sentinel does. Probably no big deal most of the time, but if you are trying to monitor a new system that's being updated regularly on RR that's a nice feature. ARC536Pro also allows you to control your scanner from the PC.

I don't think you made a mistake if you purchased it. As others have pointed out, ProScan also can download directly from RR and has remote control, but honestly for *programming* I prefer ARC536Pro. Don't get me wrong; I love ProScan and have it running 24x7 controlling a number of Uniden scanners, but I find the Favorite List editor a bit clunky, so if I'm adding new systems I use ARC536Pro. ARC536Pro also allows you to assign LED colors and options (on/slow blink/fast blink) when you import from RR which I really like.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
but I find the Favorite List editor a bit clunky

ProScan Favorites Editor clunky in what way? We pride ourselves in making the best and listen to the users. I'm not so sure that's a fair statement. If you had emailed me to help make it better and I did nothing then yes it's a fair statement. We've done a lot on the Favorites Editor recently.

Here are the differences between Sentinel and the ProScan Favorites editor?

Sentinel is definitely needed for firmware updates. It's also needed for accessing the full HPDB which is derived from the RRDB. It's also may be needed for the profile editing. ProScan doesn't have profile editing as I felt it would be 100% duplication that couldn't be improved on so I was spending time in other areas.

Here is what ProScan has that I don't believe Sentinel has.

Multiple Favorites on the same tree which makes it easy to copy & paste or drag & drop systems.
Find Duplicates
Find & Replace
Import from RRDB directly. RR subscription required
Import from Win Clipboard
Versatile Sorting options
Google Maps showing all the systems with circles or rectangles
Export nicely formatted web page showing any or all (user selectable) the FQK's, SQK's, Number Tags, and systems
Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop nodes to other systems and other ProScan instances

{edit}
ARC536Pro also allows you to assign LED colors and options (on/slow blink/fast blink) when you import from RR which I really like.
ProScan does the same except it's after the import so you can edit all the other system, department, & channel parameters at the same time.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
ProScan Favorites Editor clunky in what way? We pride ourselves in making the best and listen to the users. I'm not so sure that's a fair statement. If you had emailed me to help make it better and I did nothing then yes it's a fair statement. We've done a lot on the Favorites Editor recently.

Didn't mean to offend with my poor choice of words, Bob. As I stated, I love ProScan. What I should have said was, "I prefer the RR import feature in ARC536Pro". It's a Coke vs Pepsi thing ... personal preference.

in my opin...
SENTINEL...is more of a x36 maintenance utility. With programming features available , though i find it more cumbersome.
ARCx36Pro is a data collection & editing program. Excel flavor spreadsheets make cut/paste...overall programming easier.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I use Sentinel, ProScan and ARC536Pro. ProScan and ARC536Pro have Virtual Control and Logging as mentioned above and these can also be used to update a System/Dept as soon as it is available in the RR Database. With Sentinel, you can only download weekly Database updates on Monday of each week. They are all a valuable tool for me.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I use Sentinel for the majority of programming. I use Proscan for easily importing of more unusual aspects suck as RR pages of Nationwide, Mil-Air , some Business and other oddities. those are easy to do using the page ID. They may be in Sentinel but are harder to find.

I also use Proscan 'ssearch and replace. One aspect that makes easy is setting color by service type. I also use PS for monitoring and recording.

I learned to stay away from any ARC product (my personal opinion).

I only use PS to store files for my NON HP style scanners. All those are maintained in Sentinel.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Sentinel does certain things (update FW, edit profile) that can't be done in ARC536. ARC536 does certain things(cut, copy, paste) that can't be done in Sentinel.
You can copy by highlighting a cell and right clicking. You can than select a number of cells using shift+left click or ctrl+left click and then paste parameters into your new selection.

I'm not sure if that is the copying and pasting you were referring to, but a lot of people miss that is an option regardless.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
You can copy by highlighting a cell and right clicking. You can than select a number of cells using shift+left click or ctrl+left click and then paste parameters into your new selection.

I'm not sure if that is the copying and pasting you were referring to, but a lot of people miss that is an option regardless.

No, I am talking about copying and pasting a site, or a system. Or pasting a dozen frequencies from a spread sheet into a FL. Sentinel is pretty crippled for anything more complex than moving around a cell at a time within Sentinel.

Status
Not open for further replies.