BCDx396HP Sentinel vs. Arc536Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
That's odd, you'd think that would be a basic feature.

W6KRU is hugely mistaken. I copy and paste all the time into and out of Sentinel. I have an Excel spreadsheet which I maintain for a large system in my area, and have several pages which format the data for DSD+, PRO96COM, Unitrunker, and Sentinel, and I just highlight the appropriate cells of the spreadsheet, copy, and then paste into the correct program, including Sentinel.

W6KRU

W6KRU is hugely mistaken. I copy and paste all the time into and out of Sentinel. I have an Excel spreadsheet which I maintain for a large system in my area, and have several pages which format the data for DSD+, PRO96COM, Unitrunker, and Sentinel, and I just highlight the appropriate cells of the spreadsheet, copy, and then paste into the correct program, including Sentinel.

You can copy and paste sites or systems? I must be hugely mistaken!

W6KRU

After spending the night doing some updates on my scanners, I don't think I am mistaken about anything. Working with Sentinel is a pain. It is just my opinion but I find ARC, Freescan, and EZ-Scan all to be easier to work with. You can cut and paste in Sentinel but in a limited and uncoventional way. I might not understand the best way to work with Sentinel but I have to manipulate data before pasting in Sentinel and then I have to do a column at a time. I couldn't do multiple lines of multiple columns. I always got an error box.

Maybe I just need some pointers to some good Sentinel documentation???

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
After spending the night doing some updates on my scanners, I don't think I am mistaken about anything. Working with Sentinel is a pain. It is just my opinion but I find ARC, Freescan, and EZ-Scan all to be easier to work with. You can cut and paste in Sentinel but in a limited and uncoventional way. I might not understand the best way to work with Sentinel but I have to manipulate data before pasting in Sentinel and then I have to do a column at a time. I couldn't do multiple lines of multiple columns. I always got an error box.

Maybe I just need some pointers to some good Sentinel documentation???
You should be able to copy and paste from excel or similar files. You can do this with rows, columns or a combination of them. Of course formatting is important, and I have no experience with any of the other programs, but you can do what you are saying you cannot.

W6KRU

You should be able to copy and paste from excel or similar files. You can do this with rows, columns or a combination of them. Of course formatting is important, and I have no experience with any of the other programs, but you can do what you are saying you cannot.

I just don't know what I'm doing I guess. I can't paste multiple rows of multiple columns unless I do a lot of manipulation in a spreadsheet to get all of the fields in the right places. Is that what you mean by getting the formatting correct?

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
I just don't know what I'm doing I guess. I can't paste multiple rows of multiple columns unless I do a lot of manipulation in a spreadsheet to get all of the fields in the right places. Is that what you mean by getting the formatting correct?
Yes, each column needs to be formatted to have a value in it that matches the possible options for it. having to adjust that is changing the formatting.

of course, you should still be able to copy column by column if you can't go by row because the programs are different.

W6KRU

Yes, each column needs to be formatted to have a value in it that matches the possible options for it. having to adjust that is changing the formatting.

of course, you should still be able to copy column by column if you can't go by row because the programs are different.

There should not be a need for the manual formatting. Freescan has had the EZ-grab feature for years and EZ-Scan has an Import from clipboard feature. Both of those allow you to select the proper placement of the columns as the imported data is placed into the program. It's probably only a few lines of code to accomplish this feature and would save the users from the useless manual process.

JeffBH

Just bought Proscan and have been learning some by trial and error and was thinking about buying arc536pro also but was questioning it when I seen it had to hook up to the scanner by the physical cable instead of by the wireless like proscan.
What I'm trying to do and I hope someone could help me with it, is using my proscan software how do I take my "History Logging" hits from my scanner and load them in to one of my favorites so I could scan them when I desire to..?

engineco16

Premium Subscriber
I seem to be using Sentinel, then ProScan, then ArcPro. Each one does something a bit different. If I make changes in one program I upload it to the scanner then download it to the other program and save save save.

One thing I don't like about AcrPro, at least I can't figure out how to save all of my faves lists. It seems very awkward to say the least.

W6KRU

I seem to be using Sentinel, then ProScan, then ArcPro. Each one does something a bit different. If I make changes in one program I upload it to the scanner then download it to the other program and save save save.

One thing I don't like about AcrPro, at least I can't figure out how to save all of my faves lists. It seems very awkward to say the least.

Not at all. You work on each hpd file and save it when finished. The part I find awkward is knowing which hpd to open which requires opening the cfg file to see which hpd contains the system that I want to work on.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Proscan Question: I'm trying to import a trunked system from RR to ProScan. I search for what I want, get all of the data in the window and hit "Check All", then hit "Import". All it does is uncheck all of the boxes. It imported a conventional system just fine, but not the trunked system.

Does anyone have any clues?
It is suppose to uncheck the items as they are imported. That way it prevents double imports. Close the RR dialog and see if it's in the database.

Can you post the system you are trying to import and advise on the scanner type.

K6PYR

Member/Feeder
I should learn to read the instructions more carefully before asking idiotic questions. You are correct of course. After clicking the import button about 5 times and swearing at the "stupid computer" I went back into the database and saw that it had imported it several times. Note to the ProScan folks: Nice program, but how about putting up a little box that says "Import Complete" or something? I'm probably not the first person to be fooled by this. I'm going to go read more instructions now.

BobFam

ProScan can do everything ARC536 Pro can do, it's almost $20 cheaper, and it supports a number of other models.
Will ProScan Virtual Control the BCD436HP when I am using WIN7 Medium fonts? Butel says ARC536Pro will not work. Thanks, Bob.

BobFam

Will ProScan Virtual Control the BCD436HP when I am using WIN7 Medium fonts? Butel says ARC536Pro will not work. Thanks, Bob.
Can anyone using ARC536 Pro with Medium fonts please let me know if it works OK in the Virtual mode. ProScan says it is optimized for small fonts but it works fine for me using WIN7 Medium fonts. Thanks, Bob.

BobFam

Bob ARC has a free trial try it.
Thanks. My trial period is expired. I installed it and looked at it before I got my scanner. Butel won't give me a new trial code. I also installed ProScan at the same time. It expired too but ProScan was very nice to give me a new key with a short time expiration. ProScan support is GREAT!! They answered my e-mail within hours. I really do give them credit! ProScan says it is optimized for small fonts but it works fine with my medium size fonts. I like the programming functions in ARC536 and want to try it in Virtual mode with my BCD436HP. Regards, Bob.

Ubbe

A good tip when dealing with unknown formats: First read, import or copy from the place where you want to add information.
You then have the correct format and you paste or import it to another editable source like Excel. When you add something in Excel you can copy the existing rows and paste into free rows and then edit them.
When you then copy or export from Excel it will be, hopefully, in the correct format.
I always do the same when programming things like radios, always first read the correct format and edit, and do not try to create anything from scratch. Of course you can save the Excel file and reuse later without having to first copy or import from the source.

I just verified by copying some rows from analog frequencies in a favorite list in Sentinel and pasted into Excel. Copied two rows in Excel and pasted at the end and edited some values. Then copied all the rows and pasted into Sentinel. But you have to mark only the Excel cells up to the last one that are used in Sentinel, not the whole row with empty cells. You also have to prepare Sentinel to first add lines so that the paste will match the exact number of lines you copied from Excel. If you only added 5 lines in Excel you can copy only those lines and paste into the marked lines in Sentinel. It looks more complicated in writing than it actually are doing it.

If you only add one cell like frequencies or name tags and paste into one free cell in Sentinel it will automaticly add the missing lines. As it doesn't do this when pasting a whole line, and responds with that you have to match the exact area, must be a bit of a failure for the software coder of the Sentinel program.

I also verifed copying from Sentinel to Notepad and edit there and then paste back into Sentinel. It works the exact same way as using Excel but you don't have to worry about including empty cells.

/Ubbe

BobFam

A good tip when dealing with unknown formats: First read, import or copy from the place where you want to add information.
You then have the correct format and you paste or import it to another editable source like Excel. When you add something in Excel you can copy the existing rows and paste into free rows and then edit them.
When you then copy or export from Excel it will be, hopefully, in the correct format.
I always do the same when programming things like radios, always first read the correct format and edit, and do not try to create anything from scratch. Of course you can save the Excel file and reuse later without having to first copy or import from the source.

I just verified by copying some rows from analog frequencies in a favorite list in Sentinel and pasted into Excel. Copied two rows in Excel and pasted at the end and edited some values. Then copied all the rows and pasted into Sentinel. But you have to mark only the Excel cells up to the last one that are used in Sentinel, not the whole row with empty cells. You also have to prepare Sentinel to first add lines so that the paste will match the exact number of lines you copied from Excel. If you only added 5 lines in Excel you can copy only those lines and paste into the marked lines in Sentinel. It looks more complicated in writing than it actually are doing it.

If you only add one cell like frequencies or name tags and paste into one free cell in Sentinel it will automaticly add the missing lines. As it doesn't do this when pasting a whole line, and responds with that you have to match the exact area, must be a bit of a failure for the software coder of the Sentinel program.

I also verifed copying from Sentinel to Notepad and edit there and then paste back into Sentinel. It works the exact same way as using Excel but you don't have to worry about including empty cells.

/Ubbe
Thanks for the excellent info. I am giving up on ARC536. They will not give me a short term key so I can evaluate the Pro version prior to purchase. ProScan did and were quick to reply with a short term key for ProScan, plus they are U.S. based! Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.