BCP336XT battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW4HKY

I'm lucky to get 3 hours scan. Normal is just a product of 3 batteries?

Same results with several types of NIMH batteries and yes the inside switch is set to NIMH

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
That's not normal in my experience. What batteries and hour ratings do they have?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If by BCP336XT you are refering to the BCD396XT, I charge my batteries externally and get 9 to 11 hours of full-time use per charge (depending on how busy the fire channels are).

I use Sanyo Eneloop batteries and the La Crosse Technology BC-700 Charger.

I have 12 batteries that I rotate, charging 1 set overnight, allowing each set to completely drain prior to charging.

They are now well over 2 years old and going strong. Make sure you have the battery saver enabled on your scanner too.

Last edited:

nanZor

That can happen with crappy / mismatched batteries, OR if you are charging internally, check your charge time.

While most of us don't like to charge internally, if you DO, then one recommended option is to let the scanner discharge until it beeps, and have your charge time set to 14 to 16 hours. That puts the least amount of stress on the batteries if you don't keep accurate details of your usage times.

brucewarming

In the menu settings of the BCD436HP, don't know about this other BCD scanner, there is a setting for the battery alert. It can be set to allow the batteries to get to a lower voltage before it alerts you. The 436 seems to get to that (default) alert level fairly fast so I set it to a lower level and now I'm getting MUCH more time before the alert.

Status
Not open for further replies.