BCT-12 update 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swm77662

I would be cool to be able to update my BCT-12,BCT-7, and 15 if someone would come out with a program similar to those open Chinese radios where the user can adjust the radio.

swm77662

Well to start with loading current frequencies, I can still get some NHP even though they are edacs until they go to P25 phase 2.
When I run down to AZ to buy lotto the 7 and the 12 do pick up some AHP and a few local freq's but most of the pre-programmed ones are not in use.
I do have newer better scanners but I still like the old ones and I hate to see them sitting in boxes.

swm77662

I wonder if I sent them to Uniden they would update them? I would have no problem paying for the updates.
That could be a whole separate income stream for them updating older products..

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Many older radios cannot be upgraded due to the electronics. The ROM where the data is stored was only designed to handle a firmware file of what was known at the time of production, with a limited amount of additional memory for fixes and planned upgades. Other components just don't have the technology to handle the newer systems. My Pro 106 still does well on P25 trunked systems, but phase II will be the end of digital use.

swm77662

If it's just a chip then it could be replaced right? there has to be a way program these older scanners any ideas?

N8IAA

So, you want Uniden to replace the hardware and firmware in the scanners to allow you to follow digital modes??? Not likely.

But, they did make new scanners that do follow those modes.

The funny thing, is, Uniden isn't even doing updates for their newest top line scanners.

danesgs

I still find uses for the older scanners. I have (1) 895XLT doing nothing but MIL and civilian aviation, the second 895XLT does nothing but HAM on 6,2,440,1.25, 900 an such. I have a PRO-2096 and a PRO-96 still picking up digital simulcast on Phase 1 systems. And 2 GRE radios that were at the Whistler/GRE buyout era that do Phase 2. I can use the HAM only to track what is going on there, the aircraft radio for Military fly-by and regular traffic, and the rest for PD and fire. New phase 2 scanners are still around 298-400 dollars on sale. You might find a few on Ebay or if you use Picclick to search.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Always use older scanners in my shack for analog monitoring. I have a Pro-2035, a Pro-2051 and a BC895XLT that are dedicated to milair, aviation and hams. Also use a 2006 for various analog local stuff. The only thing I miss when it comes to those old scanners are Alpha-Tags. Egads. How did we survive without alpha-tags on a scanner?!

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
"Just a chip", I like that.

Anyway, I moved this to the Tavern since Uniden isn't going to do this and I highly doubt anyone else is either.

Status
Not open for further replies.