BCT-15 and Rebanding - Noob...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vabch250

I am completely new to the world of scanner's, I have found this forum to be very helpful in my search for a good beginner and possibly intermediate scanner. I haven't listened to scanners since my grandfather had one about 15 years ago. Anyways, on to my question... I am looking at buying a BCT-15 and I started reading about the rebanding issue that is to take place. Is there anything that I need to do to the BCT-15 if I buy one at this moment, or are they going to be obsolete once the rebanding takes place. Thank you all for your help in advance. Once again, GREAT FORUM!!

-Chris

jrplmil

If it is not already available the bct15 can be upgraded. It is a non digital unit. I am thinking about getting one my self. I have the bc246t which I feel is the handheld mate to the bct15. I dont know your location is digital or analog so be sure you can use it. Hope this helps

vabch250

I live in the Virginia Beach area of Virginia, from everything I read, I think that we are in a analog zone. But knowing my luck, soon they will probably be going to digital. Thanks for the help!

vabch250

Thanks for the great response!! I will definately bookmark the Wiki. I just ordered the BCT-15, hopefully the big brown truck will drop it off tomorrow!! Have a great day!

-Chris

maalox

vabch250 said:
Thanks for the great response!! I will definately bookmark the Wiki. I just ordered the BCT-15, hopefully the big brown truck will drop it off tomorrow!! Have a great day!

-Chris
make sure you request signature required otherwise that all they will do is drop it off.lol

vabch250

Luckily I did request the signature on it. Now that I had that question answered so well... maybe you all can answer another one for me: When wiring the BCT-15 into the car's electric circuit, I know that the red wire goes to the battery and the black wire to the grounding point... but as far as the orange wire for dimming the screen... where did you all hook it into? My first thought was into the line coming from the interior light dimmer switch, I just don't want to be putting power into this new scanner that shouldn't be there. The Owner's manual that I found online is very vague on this connection. Please help. Thanks.

-Chris

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Any voltage source that switches power when you turn on the headlights will work. It draws almost no current through the orange lead...it is just for sensing the h/l switch state so that the auto dim can operate.

vabch250

Thanks for the help, I'll post pictures of the install once I get it on my doorstep today!

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.