BCT-15 CTCSS delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
My BCT-15 sometimes misses up to half a second of transmissions on some frequencies with CTCSS enabled. I can set here with my PRO-136 (no CTCSS) and BCT-15 held on the same frequency, and the BCT-15 usually misses the first quarter second, and sometimes half a second of transmissions. However when I turn off CTCSS on the BCT-15, it receives at the exact same time.
I sometimes miss the first couple of words and usually miss the entire unit/station that's calling someone. And I can't turn off the CTCSS, there is another user on the same freq some 60 miles away that comes in constantly.

I remember reading somewhere (here I think) about how to fix this on a GRE scanner (PSR-300 or 500) by changing some advanced options. Is there a similar fix for the BCT-15?

For reference, 156.210 / 179.9 PL usually misses a quarter second, and 155.955 / 192.8 PL is usually a half second behind.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I suspect you have the channel set to the incorrect modulation mode (AUTO or NFM when it should be set to FM). That would cause difficulties in tone decode and would also make the channel substantially louder than other channels that are set to the correct mode.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! It was supposed to be FM, I changed it and it helped a lot with the delay and volume issue (never really noticed that but I can tell a difference). But I thought it would automatically set the modulation with it set to AUTO?

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
AUTO automatically sets it according to the frequency's current FCC requirement (which is NFM for most new frequencies). Many legacy channels are still FM (but are required to switch to NFM by 2013 IIRC).

Status
Not open for further replies.