bct 15 "good or not"! all opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanscanner

im new to the scanner world looking in to buying a bct 15. lookind for opinons on regarding that scanner. if there is a better scanner that will pick up 900 edacs narrowband and in the same price range as the bct 15 please tell. the more opinions the better. thank you.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
bryanscanner said:
im new to the scanner world looking in to buying a bct 15. lookind for opinons on regarding that scanner. if there is a better scanner that will pick up 900 edacs narrowband and in the same price range as the bct 15 please tell. the more opinions the better. thank you.

We do have a Uniden Forum with tons of info about this scanner..might want to start reading there :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
bryanscanner said:

BCT15 is trunking non digital but should pick 900 EDACS ok

twolf816

post belongs in uniden forum but yes its a good investment if you dont have digital in your area...i give it a 12 of 10

greenmamba

Digital is the way ahead.. and Most digital scanners can accomodate the analog systems.

THis scanner was reviewed in monitoring times.. Great Scanner but if you need digital it is a show stopper.

garys

Premium Subscriber
As pretty much everyone has said, if you don't need digital it's a great scanner. The 996T has some features, like multi color display, but those alone don't make it worth the extra money.

I have a 996T in my truck, but I use a BCT15 for my primary home scanner with a 796D for the little bit of digital near me.

Gary

mancow

Database Admin
I don't know how the 15 compares to the 996 RF wise but I would assume they are similar. If they are then I think the 15 would be an outstanding purchase. I have had my new 2096 running strictly 800mhz stuff since I owned it. I kept the 996 on the wideband antenna for vhf and uhf. I decided to try switching the antennas tonight and the 996 blew the 2096 out of the water when it came to monitoring a large 800 edacs system 50 miles away. The 2096 was scratchy but the 996 is perfectly clear.

I think you will be happy with the 15 if it's anything like this.

Go-24

If you are looking for a scanner for your automobile dont get the 15; you wont be able to see the screen on those sunny days. Still dont quite understand why they skipped that feature in a "new" scanner designed for mobile use.

I do like both the 15 and the 996 though ;)

Coastie127

Go-24 said:
If you are looking for a scanner for your automobile dont get the 15; you wont be able to see the screen on those sunny days. Still dont quite understand why they skipped that feature in a "new" scanner designed for mobile use.

I do like both the 15 and the 996 though ;)

Is there a backlight for the scanner or does it suck. I'm really looking into buy one.

pogbobo

there is a backlight with 3 dim settings ... I don't have any trouble seeing mine in my truck during the day, but at night its kinda hard on the eyes, i.e. its very bright, but the contrast is weird so the characters don't stand out like they should ... over all thats not enough to discourage me from buying another one ... and don't forget the dynamic memory and the multi site trunking! my bct15 is the best scanner I have ever used hands down! buy one!! or two lol :)

garys

Premium Subscriber
pogbobo said:
there is a backlight with 3 dim settings ... I don't have any trouble seeing mine in my truck during the day, but at night its kinda hard on the eyes, i.e. its very bright, but the contrast is weird so the characters don't stand out like they should ... over all thats not enough to discourage me from buying another one ... and don't forget the dynamic memory and the multi site trunking! my bct15 is the best scanner I have ever used hands down! buy one!! or two lol :)

Contrast is adjustable in the BCT15. At least it is using software and I'll assume it is using the Menu system.

Gary

brwkem

Is the shielding on this model any good to limit interference from computer equipment?

kellykeeton

depends on what your listening to and what your computer equipment is beading

however the answer is yes. mine is under my monitor CRT and its just fine. a good ground will eliminate most of your random noise.

I drive mostly at night and I've set the contrast on the "low" setting and it works great, but during morning hours I do "turn it up" to "high". So far I think its a great unit....once I got away from the 10 banks only mentality. 5 other drivers from our terminal have all bought one so we kind of help each other.

firefighterdrew

Premium Subscriber
bct 15A+++++

I cant understand what you guys are talking about as far as the display is concerned. the display is fully adjustable, Contrast as well as dimming capabilities. the screen is great! THERE IS NOTHING that can be said in a negative light about this radio. I use arc pro 15 and bcTool programming software with my radio and Im 200% satified with both! (I like bcTool a little more though, it was free in comparison to $69 for the arc pro 15 from Butel software.) other than that, Like I said the 15 is an Greal Raido! you might as well wait for the new 15x thats coming out in a little bit though. my next purchase is the BCT996xt!

Status
Not open for further replies.