BCT 15 or BCD 996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireant

I know I really don't need another scanner or at least my wife doesn't seem to think so am debating between the two models against her wishes. I currently own the following radios PRO 43, PRO 2030, PRO 2045, PRO 95, PRO 97, BCD 396T, BR 330T, and the 246T. I would like a mobile/base unit for the home and vehicle and then use my handhelds when I am away from the vehicle/home like at work. Which radio would be the best for our area? I know currently there is not alot of digital but don't know if there is more coming soon any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fireant

mam1081

Feed Provider
If you take any road trips (or commute a long way to work), the GPS function is excellent, so either scanner would work there. I have not used the P25 a whole lot in my 996, but what I have heard sounds pretty nice. It seems like if the state system starts using P25 more and more, you'd be in a better position to listen to them with the 996 - not to mention you get an extra 2,000 channels with the 996 (mine is up to around 3,900 now - that would almost max out the 15).

Ask yourself when you expect to get another "new" scanner. If that is later than about 2 years, I would probably go with the 996. I have bought the "cheap" versions of radios before only to wish I had bought the best radio in the past. I end up selling the "cheaper" radio to someone else for a loss, and going to get the high-end radio eventually, so buy what you want straight out! :p

What an evil little voice!

Last edited:

fireant

After much consideration and debating decided to go with the BCT-15. I just cannot justify letting go the $ also will hopefully be a newer digital model at that time and then will get another digital radio. I love my 396 and it will cover all my digital needs. Also the wife was not hip on me getting another digital scanner since that cost about $520 so will buy the BCT-15 and some other things. Maybe by the time there is more digital in our area and there is a need for me to buy another digital scanner they will have come up with a APCO-25 scanner that will also decode Provoice. I can only wish.

Fireant

Last edited:

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Since it appears from threads here that the OK DPS system is testing digital, and that I live 32 miles from the Texas border, and they are going digital, I opted for the 996. It was a tough choice, but digital is coming, ever so slowly...

I travel quite a bit, giving speaches, tv, radio etc. in support of my 3 books. So, I plan to use it quite a bit in the future on the road. It replaced my ol' bct-8. I'll be in CA next month for a test run :)

Jim
KE5FEK
www.hickmanreport.com

Status
Not open for further replies.