BCT15X: BCT-15x suddenly deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
My one year old BCT-15x suddenly lost all RF sensitivity.

I was using it mobile with power from the 12V accessory plug and an external antenna. One moment it was receiving fine then next nothing. It appears to be functioning properly but never picks anything up.

I checked all the obvious things changed out the antenna, power cable. I even transmitted with a local HT and it picked up nothing. The squelch opens up but it is just static, never receives anything.

I initialized it but that did not help the situation.

Has anyone seen this before? any suggestions?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The first thing I do whenever I have a concern about a scanner receiving, is a weather scan.

Is the scanner stopping on something, but no sound is coming from the speaker, or does it just keep scanning along?

Some times transmitting on a radio with its antenna close to the scanner can mess up the front end of the scanner. If that happens, the scanner needs a trip to the repair shop. Or it could be something like a bad internal connection on the antenna connector.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
I tried the weather scan trick first and did not get anything, and there are several strong transmitters in my area.

The scanner does not come out of scan at all. Even if it's paused on a channel the S-meter does not come up, it does not seem like the receiver circuitry is sensing any RF.

I don't think it was desensed by a transmitter, this happened when I was driving on the highway, and when I tested it tonight I transmitted on the antenna on my roof with 5 watts and had a small antenna on the back of the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.