BCT15 - Communication Error! Please Check Scanner Remote Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkster

It worked fine yesterday, now today I can't connect to the UASD Online Control and ScannerView (under BCT15 UASD Viewer) can no longer identify the BCT15! Encountering this message: Communication Error! Please Check Scanner Remote Setting or Communication Error! Please Check Scanner UASD Setting.

I have seen the thread with a similar title and tried all of the troubleshooting tips i.e. lowered baud rate speeds, (both in WindowsXP & BCT15) swapped COM ports, initialized BCT15, to no effect. WindowsXP Pro reports COM1 & 2 as having no conflicts and working properly. I am using the supplied 9-pin cable that came with the product. Front and rear ports are enabled on BCT15 and currently set at 115200 bps - worked flawlessly on that setting yesterday! Firmware is up to date. I would like to purchase the full version, but I am a little leary if I am already experiencing problems with the limited version.

Questions:
Do I need a specific driver for the BCT15?
Do I have to setup a region/area specific system in order for the BCT15 to communicate with computer?
Other than initializing, is there any other way to bring the BCT15 back to a factory default state?

Additional Notes:

BCTool is unable to connect with the BCT15 after trying COM1 & 2. I used a serial port diagnostic and received the following message: 4D 44 4C OD 4D 44 4C 0D 4D 44 4C OD 4D 44 4C OD Followed by MDL.MDL.MDL.MDL. exactly as seen on screen, the alphanumeric numbers show up in red, my guess, indicating a problem of some sort. I have disabled ActiveSync as a precaution.

Thanking you all for your help in advance...

Last edited:

MajorGamer

Do I need a specific driver for the BCT15?

When using the supplied serial cable you do not need to use any drivers. Windows will automatically support the serial connection. You only need drivers when using Unidens USB cable.

Do I have to setup a region/area specific system in order for the BCT15 to communicate with computer?

No, the software just needs to have the COM port and BAUD rate set and the scanner must have its BAUD rate set the same as the software.

Other than initializing, is there any other way to bring the BCT15 back to a factory default state?

The only known reset involves turning the radio off, then pressing the HOLD, 2, and 9 keys in together while turning the scanner on.

-----------------

It sounds like you may have some type of software using your serial port or perhaps you have a bad serial port on your computer. You also may possibly have a bad serial cable that came with your scanner or perhaps the serial port on the scanner is bad.

rikkster

Seems I have done all of what you've mentioned previously. As far as I know nothing is occupying COM ports 1 or 2, I used a port diagnostic tool and they are reported as functional and without conflict. The serial cable worked fine up until yesterday, the BCT-15 is less than three months old, bought brand new. However, I am not sure how one would go about testing the onboard serial ports on the scanner, do you know of any diagnostic software for this unit? I am also looking through the Uniden Scanner Test Modes page to see if there are any additional codes that might be able to "reset" the ports on the scanner, otherwise its a trip back to RadioWorld...thank you for the response!

Highpockets

Seems I have done all of what you've mentioned previously. As far as I know nothing is occupying COM ports 1 or 2, I used a port diagnostic tool and they are reported as functional and without conflict. The serial cable worked fine up until yesterday, the BCT-15 is less than three months old, bought brand new. However, I am not sure how one would go about testing the onboard serial ports on the scanner, do you know of any diagnostic software for this unit? I am also looking through the Uniden Scanner Test Modes page to see if there are any additional codes that might be able to "reset" the ports on the scanner, otherwise its a trip back to RadioWorld...thank you for the response!

You looked in device manager, what com port is assigned to the cable.

rikkster

You looked in device manager, what com port is assigned to the cable.

I am using the 9-pin serial cable that came with the BCT15, I am not sure how to tell what port the cable is using until it actually makes a connection. I would like to use COM1, as this port setting worked flawlessly before. COM2 might be an option, but I believe it is in use. Again, COM1 & 2 report no conflicts and working properly according to WinXP Pro.

Other things I tried:
Tried uninstalling and re-installing UASD software, same result - no luck
Tried to use BC-Tool, it cant find the BCT15 on COM1 or COM2
Tried various baud rate settings on BCT15 and computer, starting from lowest to highest - no luck

rikkster

Success! I went into the Advanced Settings of COM1 (WinXP Pro, SP2) and brought the FIFO receive and transmit buffers down a notch or two. Receive buffer set to 14, transmit buffer set to 16. You can completely disable the FIFO buffers - UASD software and scanner will still communicate, however I believe if you have a dial-up or internal modem, the FIFO buffers should remain enabled. BCT15 now communicates flawlessly at 115200 bps. When both sliders were set to maximum, it somehow interfered with communication. This solution might be of interest to anyone receiving the error message "Communication Error! Please Check Scanner Remote Setting" as a simple, time-saving, troubleshooting step.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Interesting.. I don't get errors, but my communication with my BCT15 is much slower than my 396.... Wonder if that tweak would help.

Thanks for posting.

rikkster

Interesting.. I don't get errors, but my communication with my BCT15 is much slower than my 396.... Wonder if that tweak would help.

Thanks for posting.

I noticed that experimenting with lower baud rate speeds, the longer it took the computer to communicate with the BCT15. Check and increase the baud rate setting to the maximum, 115200 bps. this should help with computer to BCT15 communications. Not sure what control software you are using, and I'm certain you've covered most of these steps, in any case, be sure that you've set the correct baud rate on the BCT15's front port, your computers' COM port and lastly your control software - I messed up a few times, inadvertently forgetting to set up the baud rate on the control software side.

My situation, I was unable to gain access to Uniden's UASD control software, tweaking or disabling the FIFO buffers, appears to have corrected this problem. I no longer use a dial up modem, so I have disabled the FIFO buffers completely with zero side effects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.