BCT15 / GPS and a couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorCalDiesel

Premium Subscriber
I currently have a BCT15.. I use it exclusively in my truck with GPS and have it rather well programmed for the western coast of the united states as that is where I primarily travel for work. Because I'm always moving, GPS is real important and I spend a lot of time fine tuning coordinates and radii.

Has anyone had any problems getting the radio to pick up the coordinates as programmed. I have had a couple times that I have uploaded programming and it finishes, resumes scanning, starts L/O using GPS location and ends up with nothing to scan once it has locked everything according to what it thinks the GPS corrdinates are. I don't know if this is the radio or the GPS antenna, but if I reload the programming it usually fixes the problem. I have a large programming file built in Freescan that takes about 5 minutes to upload from the start of the upload to scanning after L/O. I am pulling everything off RadioReference including GPS coordinates using Freescan -> Import -> RadioReference and go from there.

I want to move to the BCT15X because the GPS support is more granular in that you can "locate" your groups as well as systems. But I want to understand how to manage this a bit better and maybe fix something that I am doing wrong. I have a lot of time in programming and have all the programming versioned in version control. If I have to make any changes I want to make them now so any advice and help is much appreciated.

Also, If I bought a new scanner should I move into the digital scanner age or stay with the BCT15X?

TIA and best wishes,
Pat

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well as to your last question - your logical recourse is to bone up on the systems in the area(s) you travel to, and see if they are migrating to digital. If so, you know what you would have to do (get a 996XT)

The advantage here is that the FreeScan file you built should be fully compatible with the 996XT with just a few minor tweaks for the GPS changes as you've already noted, along with any adjustments for digital....

Keep in mind that only the Unidens have the ability to do Location Based Scanning...best regards..Mike

NorCalDiesel

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I am looking at the BCD996XT and would swallow the cost if I could use it. I did run through the Bay Area counties a couple minutes ago and there are some digital freq's that I am loading L/O. My practice is to load all Digital stuff L/O'd as I can just unlock everything all at once in Freescan if needed.
If I end up buying a new scanner I will probably just go digital.

GPS just makes this whole thing usable on the road, otherwise you'd be working the radio and driving.. like the old days.

I might try another antenna as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.