BCT15/GPS temp install

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
The only issue is the use of a base-loaded CB antenna...who knows where that was resonant, if anywhere.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
stateboy said:
The only issue is the use of a base-loaded CB antenna...who knows where that was resonant, if anywhere.

Well that would be your issue as it worked well for him.

R1VINCE

im no rocket scientist-just an enthusiast on a budget--

i merely took what i had lying around and re-engineered it to work for what i needed at the moment.
---sorry.

N8IAA

stateboy said:

He's not using it to transmit on, just listen.The cb antenna gives another coil for better reception! A great idea that I'll use for a defunct wilson 1k that is laying around doing nothing and a RS antenna that the magmount is messed up and can't be used. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions:)
Larry

jaymatt1978

I agree about the antenna you' d be surprised on what simple CB antennas could do. Now you got me curious.... Did you listen to the CB band at all during the trip?

SCPD

QRT
I have installed equipment in five differant vehicles over the past few years, some have been engenious ideas as most have had center consoles or were SUV's. Some were cleaner than others. Most were constructed with little money but great thought. But, if I had your custom mount I'd have never put holes in Dash boards, Consoles or glove compartments. Thats is one of the BEST customized mounts I have ever seen! In many ways that is nicer than a gooseneck mount or a small pedistol mount. You might consider a patent on that and seriously look into marketing that.

I have one question, How did the spray paint take to the metal? did you or would you have put primer on first?

Very Nice Install, this has me re-thinking future projects of my own and for other people. That mount has a lot of expansion possibilities.

R1VINCE

jaymatt1978 said:
Did you listen to the CB band at all during the trip?

No, i didnt get a chance to listen to any cb channels--i programmed every Highway Patrol, Sheriffs Office, and local PD(except digital) between Sacramento, CA. and Wolf Point, MT.--running along I80, Hwy93, I84, I86, I15, I90, I94, State route 253, and State route 13. it all fit AND I heard from every department along the way and back-including BNSF Railroad traffic. I also had my ar8200 on the trip with me and when i pugged it in i was able to pick up alot of CHP traffic from the bay area while i was minutes away and into nevada. but i went back to the bct15 because the NHP is on EDACS trunk. All traffic i recieved sounded loud and clear(aside form distant stations being distant). Lowest frequenciy plugged in was in the 42MHz.

N8IAA

Took the defunct Wilson 1K and the RS scanner antennas and married them today. I used a 11/64" drill and press fit the two together. I will test it out and see how it does on Lo-band and cb reception. Not a lot of lo-band where I reside. Thanks for the idea. I prefer to make do with what is laying around. Learned that from my ham radio elmer(still good friends). Always tried to build homemade antennas. {Read cheap into that ;)}
Larry

R1VINCE

MaxTracker said:
I have one question, How did the spray paint take to the metal? did you or would you have put primer on first?

Very Nice Install, this has me re-thinking future projects of my own and for other people. That mount has a lot of expansion possibilities.

MaxTracker-i did not prep the strut in any way nor did i use any primer. I used RUST-OLEUM PROFESSIONAL High Performance Enamel. I just cut my pieces, attached the nuts and bolts, and sprayed away.

As for patenting, well, i dont think i have much to go on for any patents-i did use the unistrut(short for UNIversal STRUT) for the purpose it was made for. The idea of the design came from seeing all these other manufacturers out there making their product out of lesser materials. All materials that i used for this are available at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc, and if i were to price out everything for the mount alone, id say theres about 10 to 12 bux in materials there(that includes the 10ft piece of unistrut you have to buy). Besides, now that my idea is out, im really looking forward to seeing what others come up with going along these lines. Ill have greater satisfaction in seeing others benifit from this than spending months/years trying to make a buck. SHARE THE WEALTH!!!

p.s. im working on a new mount for my 03 NFE Avalanche based on the same concept-pix coming soon!!

af5rn

Keep in mind that the reason manufacturers use lesser materials is because of safety concerns. It's a lot harder to get a piece of flexible gooseneck impaled in your face during a wreck than it is a solid piece of unistrut. :lol:

N8IAA

N8IAA said:
Took the defunct Wilson 1K and the RS scanner antennas and married them today. I used a 11/64" drill and press fit the two together. I will test it out and see how it does on Lo-band and cb reception. Not a lot of lo-band where I reside. Thanks for the idea. I prefer to make do with what is laying around. Learned that from my ham radio elmer(still good friends). Always tried to build homemade antennas. {Read cheap into that ;)}
Larry

Worked outstanding on my trip to NC today (Saturday). Heard lo-band signals that are normally scratchy or almost nonexistent. Hi-band and Uhf much better than using my ham dualband mobile antenna. Just thought ya'll would like to know. I will take a picture of the antenna on the car.
L8ter,
Larry

tmfok7

N8IAA said:
Worked outstanding on my trip to NC today (Saturday). Heard lo-band signals that are normally scratchy or almost nonexistent. Hi-band and Uhf much better than using my ham dualband mobile antenna. Just thought ya'll would like to know. I will take a picture of the antenna on the car.
L8ter,
Larry

Maybe [Wilson] can market a new scanner antenna that can do double duty for base or mobile use!.... By the way (R1VINCE), really nice install...Looks great! How was Montana and did you hear traffic on their new VHF Trunked system?

Last edited:

R1VINCE

thanks everyone for your comments!

tmfok7--
My drive through Montana went well-Montana is a beautiful state to drive thru/in
i did not have any of the new trunk system programmed in as i thought it was/is a digital sytem and i only had my BCT15 and 8200M3 with me--so i was unable to listen to them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.