BCT15 grounding confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklameatman

Page 40 of the manual for the BCT15 addresses the use of an extension speaker, and it states the following:

"WARNING! Never connect any part of the headphone jack to the antenna jack or connect the radio to an installation where the antenna and audio connection are grounded. This might also damage the scanner."

What does the second part of this statement mean? If an antenna is grounded, and an amplified speaker is powered by a circuit which is grounded, is this a problem?

Thanks,
Jake

MarkWestin

On some or most older amplifier designs only one side (+) of the circuit is driven and the other side (-) is grounded. On newer designs including the BCT15 both (+) and (-)) are driven in a sort of push pull design and neither side of the circuit can be grounded. Grounding the antenna system will have no effect on the audio amplifier. A amplified (powered) speaker could cause a problem with the amplifier in the scanner depending on the design of the amplifier in the speaker. This would be a great question for the company that makes the amplified speaker.

Mark

oklameatman

Well...my intent is to connect the audio of a BCT15X (not BCT15) to the auxillary port on my vehicle radio (like for a MP3 player) using the extension speaker port on the scanner. It worked great when using a Radio Shack Pro-433. Now I have a BCT15X to put in the vehicle. I wasn't sure how the warning in the manual applied to my proposed plan. Thoughts?

Redneck0410

Well...my intent is to connect the audio of a BCT15X (not BCT15) to the auxillary port on my vehicle radio (like for a MP3 player) using the extension speaker port on the scanner. It worked great when using a Radio Shack Pro-433. Now I have a BCT15X to put in the vehicle. I wasn't sure how the warning in the manual applied to my proposed plan. Thoughts?

You should be able to do that without any problems.

-Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.