BCT15 humming and no sound after turning on the scanner - HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyr8

I have a 15 here that has a bit of an issue.

When i turn the radio on initially i get sound for about 5 seconds, then it slowly fades away and is replaced by a very low humming noise. I have confirmed that it is not the speaker...same thing on the two headphone/external speaker jacks.

Anyone have an idea if what it is?

My initial thoughts are faulty capacitor/power supply!?

Any help would be appreciated!

jim202

How old is it? You might be seeing an issue of bad or dried out caps in the power supply section
of the radio.

Jim

When i turn the radio on initially i get sound for about 5 seconds, then it slowly fades away and is replaced by a very low humming noise. I have confirmed that it is not the speaker...same thing on the two headphone/external speaker jacks.

WouffHong

Hum..

IF you really mean: BCT15:
Change the Wall Wart (try the one with your second BCT15?) and if it cures it, toss the old one ASAP - Some have caused fires. :-( - They bring new meaning to "Chinese Fireworks"! :roll: :roll:

Trying it on a DC source (car or 2 6V lantern batteries) will also verify Radio is OK . :wink: :wink:

Wouff
gaiaisangry.com

Pyr8

Not really sure...picked it up off of a guy for cheep.

Do you think its the power pack/AC adapter...or something on the actual radio?

Pyr8

IF you really mean: BCT15:
Change the Wall Wart (try the one with your second BCT15?) and if it cures it, toss the old one ASAP - Some have caused fires. :-( - They bring new meaning to "Chinese Fireworks"! :roll: :roll:

Trying it on a DC source (car or 2 6V lantern batteries) will also verify Radio is OK . :wink: :wink:

Wouff
gaiaisangry.com

This is the only scanner i have at the moment unfortunately...otherwise i would certainly have checked already! ;)

WouffHong

Hummmmm.... Mostcertainly a Wall-Wart problem.

This is the only scanner i have at the moment unfortunately...otherwise i would certainly have checked already! ;)

Cool..

OK - saw that BCT15 x 2 thing.. :D :D

Well, any good 12VDC source should work - Center is + and even a Rat-Shack universal PS should work . (Not the Wally-World variety ones - Had some putting out 16 V on 12 V setting!)

Good luck - it's a great scanner!

Wouff

Pyr8

Cool..

OK - saw that BCT15 x 2 thing.. :D :D

Well, any good 12VDC source should work - Center is + and even a Rat-Shack universal PS should work . (Not the Wally-World variety ones - Had some putting out 16 V on 12 V setting!)

Good luck - it's a great scanner!

Wouff

Just tested the adapter and I'm getting "19.81V" off it without it being connected to the scanner!

Pyr8

I think i solved the mystery and maybe one day this post will help someone out??? ;)

The adapter the guy gave me is the "AD-580U" (13.8V 700mA), however the correct adapter for the BCT15 = "AD-1009" (13.8V DC 750mA Regulated).

Is the difference in 50mA gona make a difference....thought it doesn't explain why this thing is putting out 19.81V YIKES!

CompuDoc

I think that you should use the regulated PS. The one putting out way more than the amount it is supposed to is probably an unregulated PS. Back in the day some people would run their CB off an external power supply. The power supply was always a regulated power supply.

Pyr8

ok....i got another power supply today and still no love!

I pulled each of the 13 capacitors and checked them for shorts and to make sure they are charging properly witch they seem to be (used a multimeter).

What i did notice is that one of the chips on the board seems to be getting very hot (see pic)

14udr9f.jpg

Anyone have any other ideas?

WouffHong

Try finding the connector nside the radio where the 12 Volts enters and see if the "Radio Off" and "Radio on" voltages don't exceed ,say, 13 VDC, just for gits and shiggles.. ;-)

BTW I enjoy using http://qsy.us "Ham" interface to TinyUrl if you enjoy those tools.(eh' - Toys? :) )

Wouff

http://wouffhong.org

Pyr8

Try finding the connector nside the radio where the 12 Volts enters and see if the "Radio Off" and "Radio on" voltages don't exceed ,say, 13 VDC, just for gits and shiggles.. ;-)

BTW I enjoy using http://qsy.us "Ham" interface to TinyUrl if you enjoy those tools.(eh' - Toys? :) )

Wouff

http://wouffhong.org

I tested the non working unit with one that does work and this is what i found:

(working radio) = With the radio off it reads 16V - with it on it reads 13.5V
(non working radio) = With the radio off it reads 16V - With it on reads 11.8V

Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.