BCT15 Just Purchased - thoughts on antenna and BT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaznsc

Just picked up a very clean BCT15 from wise871 and have a couple of things I'd like to accomplish.

1 - Looking to put in a radio shack antenna but not sure if I should put it in the attic or outside.
2 - What kind of coax should I use?
3 - Are the flat coax pieces for going thru a window ok to use?
4 - Can I connect a Bluetooth transmitter to the BCT15 so I can venture out to the garage and listen?

Here's the antenna.... Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna : Scanner Antennas | RadioShack.com

I'm not looking to overdo this but think I'd get more reception using an antenna.

Chaz

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
You will definitely get better reception using an antenna other than the back-of-set telescoping whip that came with the scanner. The Radio Shack antenna you described will be a major improvement when properly installed. But it may be awkward and inconvenient to use indoors. For a low cost, broad coverage omnidirectional indoor antenna, look at this one listed here on RR in the Antenna Wiki:
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki
The wire version (2nd one listed in the article...scroll down) is especially well suited to hanging in an upstairs window or better, the attic.
Just reread your post and see you plan the Radio Shack antenna for the attic. It may also work there, and is a simpler first step before an outdoor installation; which will nearly always beat the attic.

Chaznsc

Pop,
Thank you so much for responding. I'm going to take a look at those indoor units and see if I can whip one up. I'm very new to the hobby and this will be a good experiment.

Thank you again for talking time on my behalf.

Chaz

colvillegreg

bct 15 antenna

Just picked up a very clean BCT15 from wise871 and have a couple of things I'd like to accomplish.

1 - Looking to put in a radio shack antenna but not sure if I should put it in the attic or outside.
2 - What kind of coax should I use?
3 - Are the flat coax pieces for going thru a window ok to use?
4 - Can I connect a Bluetooth transmitter to the BCT15 so I can venture out to the garage and listen?

Here's the antenna.... Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna : Scanner Antennas | RadioShack.com

I'm not looking to overdo this but think I'd get more reception using an antenna.

Chaz
I have the same scanner if you read the antenna upgrade thread these guys are helping me to get a good antenna set up for my scanner good luck!!

Chaznsc

You will definitely get better reception using an antenna other than the back-of-set telescoping whip that came with the scanner. The Radio Shack antenna you described will be a major improvement when properly installed. But it may be awkward and inconvenient to use indoors. For a low cost, broad coverage omnidirectional indoor antenna, look at this one listed here on RR in the Antenna Wiki:
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki
The wire version (2nd one listed in the article...scroll down) is especially well suited to hanging in an upstairs window or better, the attic.
Just reread your post and see you plan the Radio Shack antenna for the attic. It may also work there, and is a simpler first step before an outdoor installation; which will nearly always beat the attic.

Why does the homebrew show using RG6 coax? I thought RG8 was recommended for scanners?

Blackink

I used the 50' of RG6 that was sent with my ST-2 antenna and I had to add several feet of coax I had lying around here from the old Adelphia Cable days.

Works fine here.....

Chaznsc

Does anyone have pictures of the home brew copper antenna? I need to see one assembled.

wkm

EMT conduit can also be used. Cost depending on what you have on hand. Around ten dollars for matching transformer/balun, 3/4 conduit and polyethylene barbed tee. Tee fits inside i.d. of conduit. The blue box store has it all even rg-6 if you need. But no F-to-BNC connector.

I didn't take pic's and don't want to crawl in the attic right now. However no matter what material you use it's pretty straight forward on assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.