BCT15 Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

OK this has been driving me nuts for two days now. I've had this scanner for three months NOWI know it's range and reception or I thought I did. Over the past few days a lot of stations I used the get dead full quieting are now very scratchy. I have done nothing different, still using a Radio Shack antenna, haven't changed the location of the scanner in my room. I even am having trouble with frequencies in my own town. This all started happening Thursday out of the blue. The scanner works fine otherwise. A friend said it might be due to changing weather conditions, but this is ridiculous!! I thought the warmer weather HELPED signals, not hurt them. Anyone else having this problem??

Last edited:

k1mri

I just got a BCT15 and my local PD use to get 3 to 4 bars. This morning it went from 3 bars to 1 bar. Very weird as, like you I changed nothing.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Here are a few things that could be going on:

1) If you are using an external antenna, coax is subject to reduced performance if any moisture gets in (or if birds peck through the outer sleeve , as has happened to me more than once).

2) If you are in an area that is just now getting spring/summer growth, you'll find that many signals are "foliage" attenuated.

3) There could have been a change made on the system itself.

4) A new strong signal source could have come on line that is swamping the scanner's front end, causing it to kick in RF attenuation in order to prevent overload. In this case, counterintuituvely, turning on attenuation on the scanner will actually improve reception.

reconrider8

try restarting it cause mine does it sometimes and i restart and it will help (or just wait it out for a while a few weeks and see what happens cause sometimes mine clears up on its own)

radiopro52

This is happening to me too. A police station that is only about 10 miles from me used to come in full strength, but is now much weaker, like only 3 bars. And I know that no other new station has been put on air recently. I don't get it either, but it's something we have to live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.