BCT15 Scan Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
Is it just me or does it seem that the BCT 15 scans very slow. I know it is rated at 100 CPS, but it just seems to take forever to scan all the way through.

lawman5050

I just got my BCT-15 last week and have noticed the same thing. Looking at the screen while it is scanning, it appears that it is scanning very slowly. I haven't had time to play with it much yet though.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
That depends on you. The amount of systems you want to scan, the rescan delay, the amount of trunked systems, etc. The more you add, or scan at one time, the slower it will be. Try turning the rescan delay off.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
I had the same complaint with my 996. If their designs are alike, then yeah, they scan slow. It's most noticable when you A/B it against another scanner -- in my case a 780 and 2096. I found myself hearing 1/2 to 2/3 less on the 996 cuz of it.

fireman_dude

Premium Subscriber
Nah, Wouldn't be rescan delay. The problem is not when it's locked in on a transmission. Just general scanning when no audio is coming through is slow. For example.... System 1 (Trunked) completes scanning in about 10 seconds, System 2 (Conventional) takes the same amount of time and so on....

System 1 has about 20 ID tags in it, System 2 (Conv) has about 30 Freqs in it. At an advertised rate of 100 cps, as stated by Uniden, this is way under the technical specs.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
Yep. My 996 was 100cps too. Took 35-40 secs to scan what it took my other rigs 12-16 seconds to scan on the same group of channels.

rbm

I don't have a BCT15, but if they are like the BCD396t/BCD996T, a long hold time will make scanning appear slow.

For example, if you have a conventional system with only one frequency and the hold time is set to 10 seconds, the scanner will scan that one channel for 10 seconds before moving on. My conventional systems are all set to 0 hold time and the scanner zips along just fine.

Another example:
If you have 10 systems with only one conventional frequency in each, and the hold time is set to 2 seconds for each system, it will take 20 seconds to scan just those 10 frequencies.

Last edited:

twolf816

the only thing ive noticed is when searching......ex: searching through the milair band takes FOREVER....running cc on all bands dosnt...or seems that way to me;;;;might just be cuz im not used to it yet....and ive tweaked the hold times a bit more to my liking...thx rbm

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
I thought maybe it was hold times too in the OP's case. Tho on mine I had hold times
set to zero. It scanned conv channels okay, but with holds of 0 it would still linger for
2 1/2 to 3 secs on every trunk system - even with just 2 or 3 cc's loaded. X10 systems
and I'm up to 25-30 secs already - and I tweaked till blue in the face.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Even if you have no delay on a trunked system, there is a delay before it continues on to the next system as it checks the control channel for activity. De-selecting some of the systems should help speed things up a little between systems.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
twolf816 said:
the only thing ive noticed is when searching......ex: searching through the milair band takes FOREVER
Matt, this would be true of non DMA radios too - it's just much too big a range to search effectively. I know these scanners have a dedicated search for it - but you'd probably be better off building your own search, breaking the band down into segments - maybe of 1 mhz each or so - which would be much more effective. 73s Mike

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Try sorting your conventional frequencies from low to hi, that speeded up my system quite a bit.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Also, if you are scanning trunked, make sure you have set the squelch properly. If squelch is open, it will take significantly longer to acquire a control channel.

twolf816

wabc770 said:
I thought maybe it was hold times too in the OP's case. Tho on mine I had hold times
set to zero. It scanned conv channels okay, but with holds of 0 it would still linger for
2 1/2 to 3 secs on every trunk system - even with just 2 or 3 cc's loaded. X10 systems
and I'm up to 25-30 secs already - and I tweaked till blue in the face.

also if a trs is on ID SRCH....it will take longer than if it was on ID SCAN..

ka3jjz, yeah that is a good idea....have had the 246t for a year now but never really searched alot with it..mainly because at the time it was my only base scanner capable of trunking so it was doing that all the time...

another ?

i have an LTR sys and a MOTO2 800 sys in the scan....the ltr sys is taking way longer to scan; LTR has 5 freqs...14 talkgroups......moto2 has 39 freqs...63 talkgroups dont understand

Tom_G

Trunked Systems typically have delays

I have noticed that many trunked systems have "built-in" delays, and if you have an additional 2 second delay it will really add up.
For those systems that have a delay you can try making sure that you do not add any additional delay time and see if that helps.

Hopefully that will make a difference. Tom/G

Status
Not open for further replies.