BCT15: UASD Won't Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi all,

I just downloaded UASD from Uniden's web site (to demo -- did NOT register it yet) and cannot get it to connect. Have tried all manner of baud rates in both scanner (front port) and software, but always with the same result: "Communication Error! Please Check Scanner Remote Setting." To maximize compatibility, both are currently set to 9600. Have tried "Scanner View," "Write to Scanner," and "Online Control" with identical results.

FWIW, I'm using a USB to Serial adapter (no serial port on laptop). This works fine with all manner of other hardware and is even recommended in UASD's instructions for PCs without a serial port.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Using a similar setup here to connect to the BCT15. In my case I'm using the Radio Shack USB to serial adapter.

Since you've tried all the baud rates -- have you tried each "Com Port" setting? That's under the Configuration Editor... Setup... Options.

For whatever reason my machine likes to use COM5.

Somewhere (I forget at the moment) there's a place in Windows where you can view any potential conflicts from one Com Port device trying to assign itself to another Com Port already in use.

Good luck!

Mstrfxit12

Did you check the comport number setting on the USB-serial adaptor? Is it matched to your comport setting on the software

Dave_D

Yes, I've tried the other COM ports. No luck.

More importantly, I can connect the computer to another serial device (in this case, a Cisco Router), just fine via HyperTerminal. COM4, FWIW. So, that pretty much verifies the USB-to-Serial adapter....

Perhaps it's a long shot, but can you get any response from the BCT15 via HyperTerminal? This would allow me to elliminate the UASD software from my troubleshooting....

Thanks, guys!

duckbird

On the scanner, have you gone to Set Serial Port then Set Baud Rate, then Set Front or Rear Port depending which port you're using, and have you set the baud speed?

On the software, have you clicked on Write to Scanner then Setup then under Options selected the same baud speed as the scanner and have you selected the correct com port?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Dave_D said:
Hi all,

I just downloaded UASD from Uniden's web site (to demo -- did NOT register it yet) and cannot get it to connect. Have tried all manner of baud rates in both scanner (front port) and software, but always with the same result: "Communication Error! Please Check Scanner Remote Setting." To maximize compatibility, both are currently set to 9600. Have tried "Scanner View," "Write to Scanner," and "Online Control" with identical results.

FWIW, I'm using a USB to Serial adapter (no serial port on laptop). This works fine with all manner of other hardware and is even recommended in UASD's instructions for PCs without a serial port.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

What USB adapter are you using?

Dave_D

Bam!!!

Aha! Got it!!!

When I downloaded UASD, I also grabbed and installed the PL-2303 USB driver, not realizing that this driver is used ONLY IF you're connecting the BCT15 via Uniden's proprietary USB cable.

As it turns out, the PL-2303 driver does naughty things to a USBGear Serial-to-USB adapter. Apparently, it overwrites the device's drivers. Uninstalling the PL-2303 drivers was insufficient. I also had to re-install the original USBGear drivers.

Thank you, all, for your help. Re-validating my connection to the aforementioned Cisco router (which worked just fine only three days ago), revealed the problem.

Dave

firefighterdrew

Premium Subscriber
BCT15 programming software

hey I was trying to download that software for my BCT15. I cant seem to find it on Unides's direct site. can you direct me to the appropriate link for demo download? also I was thinking about purchasing ARC15 pro software from Scanner Master's site. Any input on these thoughts?

Dave_D

Once you've logged in, go to http://www.uniden.com/my/downloads.cfm?product=BCT15UASD.

I've only used the demo version of ARC15, and only briefly. That said, ARC15 interfaces with RadioReference beautifully - a huge time-saver - and appears to do a slightly better job of organizing and presenting things. I love that ARC15 provides a comment field for each frequency/ID. Unfortunately, the version I tested couldn't search on it or otherwise use comments as you might tags for managing things.

On that note, I've found nothing in either program that facilitates macro-level management or synchronization. For example, it'd be nice to change "Alert Tone #2" to "Alert Tone #7" for every occurrence, or download only updates from RR made since your last download (and, so you know what's being modified, permit granular selection of updates to be applied). For UASD, I was able to use a website editor to perform bulk search-and-replace operations, being that the program's "database" is a jumble of comma-delimited text files. I don't know how ARC15 stores its data.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave

lbyanks186

problem with arc 15 pro software

I have used the software alot ive also used the arc 246 version but all of the sudden when i try and use it it does not connect to radio reference it say's disconnected or downloading HTTP information or somthing like that....any Ideas?

rvictor

I have used the software alot ive also used the arc 246 version but all of the sudden when i try and use it it does not connect to radio reference it say's disconnected or downloading HTTP information or somthing like that....any Ideas?

Make sure that you have the latest version of the ARC software. There was a change in the RR data format which required some changes in the software to access the database. Butel issued new versions of most programs to deal with that change.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.