BCT15 vs. BC-898T

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrubsack

I want to buy another scanner. I live in a non-digital area, don't forsee any digital migration for some time to come.

I have a BCT15; and am thinking about picking up a BC-898T, or should I get another BCT15? Anyone have ideas which way to go?

Very perplexing...

Thanks.

af5rn

The one clear advantage of the BCT15 over the 898 is alpha tagging. I use a BC890xlt (very similar to the 898, but without trunking) for listening to all the local conventional fire tone-out channels and aircraft frequencies, as well as for doing quick manual searches. I love it for that purpose. It is much easier to control on the fly than the BCT15, and the big tuning knob is very handy for searches. But I do find myself having to look at my frequency list a few times a day to figure out what agency I am hearing at the time. Of course, that's not such a concern in a more rural area where you aren't surrounded by so many agencies.

If you want something that is easily programmable on the fly for immediate frequency entry and impromptu searches, I'd recommend the 898. But if you want something to just program and forget about, not needing much direct channel entry, and cannot live without alpha tags, then go with the 15. There's only about ten bucks difference between the two either way.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
I have the 898t and have had no problems with it..Good scanner for the price..As mentioned above the major difference is the alpha tagging...Good luck in which ever you get and happy scanning

mkrubsack

Thanks to all.

I decided to get the BC898T, as well as the BCD996T. Ordered them both from Amazon.com for next day delivery.

Might as well update my scanner collection. I can use the 996 in the ham shack, and use the 898 on the bedroom nightstand.

Status
Not open for further replies.