Bct15

Status
Not open for further replies.

rankin6

Anybody here using the BCT15 for MIl-Air?

What kind of results are you getting?

Have you been able to compare it to any other scanner in the air band?

Mike

twolf816

i been listning to the air band every time i get near our regional airport....everyday for the past week....its a whole lot better sounding than my bct8....and the only milair freq ive picked up...sounded like artcc.never heard the aircraft..but it was giving aircraft such as "united @#$ and continental $%$" freq changes in the civilian air band.....i heard one "galaxy 15 turn left to 252" when a c-5 was doing touch and goes but every other transmition was telling what sounded to be a civilian aircraft normal civilian air lingo...but the freq was 235.45 so im a bit confused

CLB

It re-transmits on UHF so they don't have to keep switching radios to talk to disimilarly equipped aircraft.

IE: Here in Charleston, VHF tower is 126.000, UHF is 239.000. It can also work on VHF to VHF as 118.0, 127.325 and 381.6 are the clearance delivery frequencies, and the tower re-transmits all three of these on ground- 121.9, which can also be a clearance del. frequency.

edit: One funny note about the "Galaxy" callsign, (btw I work at KCHS/CAFB). I watched a C-5 land one morning, roll out and the TX between the tower and the A/C went like this:

Tower: Galaxy xxx, make right turn on alpha, taxi to the mil side

Cutest little squeaky girlie voice you've ever heard: Right on alpha, taxi to the ramp, Galaxy xxx.

Last edited:

twolf816

lol....the only thing i dont understand is.....it wasnt coming from the control tower...it was def an artcc. usually on artcc traffic i hear its "i can hear the aircraft but not the tower because it was nowhere near me" but it was the opposite...it sounded like it was next door but i didnt hear any response from aircraft...except the c-5

but ive yet to hear anything else on mil air band

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Matt, while the milair service search is a nice nod to the milcom folks, it's much too...well...gimmicky to be useful. Trying to scan across 160 mhz of space is rather difficult at best - you're going to miss an awful lot of activity.

Your better bet - assuming you have a good mobile antenna that's milair capable - is to go to the military monitoring forum and check the sticky 'first time listeners'. There are a couple of specific places you can go to get you started. Having a specific list of freqs to check - ones that are known to be active in your area - is the best way to get yourself off the tarmac with a minimum of frustration.

73s Mike

twolf816

thx, headed there now...but not to get off topic....everytime i hear aircraft on this thing i love it even more...now the bct8 sounds like crap on airband

Status
Not open for further replies.