BCT15X - Alabama & Custom Searches

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennislv

I just got a BCT15X and I think this is the *worst* scanner I've ever owned. The sales guy kept telling me how good it was, but I think otherwise.

It keeps defaulting to Alabama, and blasting alert tones which begin to rattle your nerves after a while.

Second, I can't seem to get it out of 'Custom 2' search mode.

Third, theres no real manual. Just a scrapped together sad excuse for one tossed over a who knows how many web pages at the Uniden website.

Fourth, I have the comm cable working, but I cannot get it to take the firmware upgrade. It keeps saying something about it not being an object.

I've very disappointed... I feel like I got screwed :(

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber

wise871

Database Admin
Where at in Alabama are you located? I use my BCT15 all the time when I drive through the state. Alabama is a perfect state for the BCT15 & X due to the large amount of UHF/VHF traffic in the area. Once you program it with your area you will never go back to another radio. Right now you’re stuck on default settings which will get you nowhere. Maybe someone already has a database built for you area. If you ask, I'm sure someone will be more than happy to share it with you. As far as learning how to program the radio, I learned by playing around with the programming software such as Freescan. I looked at other systems created by others and I understood how the radio should be configured. Give it time for the learning curve. Took me about a week of messing around and tweaking before I figured out all the bells and whistles.

dennislv

Read StatebyStateScanning < UnidenMan4 < TWiki. Pay attention to the last sentence.

I do that, but for some reason, especially after programming with freescan, it defaults back to Alabama, and for some reason it starts blasting the alerts

Follow every step on BCT15XFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki. It sounds like you might not have unzipped the update file. But, it could also be due to not selecting the correct COM port. Also note that you must use the scanner's front port for firmware updates.

I'm successful with freescan, but not the bc_vup program. I'm using a newer computer, less than 2 months old. Its a new intel i3 running win7 x64. Do you think that could be the problem?

Thanks for the response...

Another thing I can't seem to figure out is scanning ranges... (i.e. 154.000-158.995)

dennislv

Where at in Alabama are you located? I use my BCT15 all the time when I drive through the state. Alabama is a perfect state for the BCT15 & X due to the large amount of UHF/VHF traffic in the area. Once you program it with your area you will never go back to another radio. Right now you’re stuck on default settings which will get you nowhere. Maybe someone already has a database built for you area. If you ask, I'm sure someone will be more than happy to share it with you. As far as learning how to program the radio, I learned by playing around with the programming software such as Freescan. I looked at other systems created by others and I understood how the radio should be configured. Give it time for the learning curve. Took me about a week of messing around and tweaking before I figured out all the bells and whistles.

The problem is I'm not in AL. The scanner keeps returning back to it. I have a 700+ channel custom file I write to it. Whenever I make *any* change and upload it, the unit resets and goes back to AL and starts blasting the alert tones.

dennislv

I do that, but for some reason, especially after programming with freescan, it defaults back to Alabama, and for some reason it starts blasting the alerts

Ok I got it to Nevada, and sometimes it doesn't give me the alerts. I guess it preserves the values of the POL & HP buttons.

Is there a way to lock them out or delete them all together? I don't use them, as I have them programmed into other systems and setup the proper way.

Also, how do you ID Scan on a trunked system?

Thanks...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I don't know how to do it in FreeScan, but you could manually turn off the functions, then read the settings out using FreeScan and keep that as your "base" configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.