BCT15X Alpha Tagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

bundy125

Premium Subscriber
Just spent the day programming a 15X that I'm giving as a Christmas present. Is there a means to display the alpha tag instead of the talkgroup ID? This one has been a truly interesting task.

sjlamb

As RDale has pointed out; if you want to have Alpha Tags, you have to program that labeling into the scanner so that it displays whatever you want it to say (up to 16 characters).

Once you create and associate an Alpha Tag with a particular TGID, the Alpha Tag will appear when that TG is transmitting.

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
if the above ideas dont work (thats what i was thinking first)

double check what "display mode" your in.

HOLD on a talkgroup (assuming you programmed one in) then FUNC 6

bundy125

Premium Subscriber
Okay.... I've tried "display mode" 1, 2, and 3, and no luck. When programming, I downloaded the information for the systems from this site's database and all the information apparently is there, just probably something I didn't know to do (the manual doesn't seem to cover anything about programming in much detail, or I just didn't read it).
Here's kinda what I'm seeing on FreeSCAN

[MOT2] HarrisCntyRgnalR
[GRP] BrazoriaCnty-Fre[2]

Then on Group & Channel Options- trunked system

Display TGID
Freeport PD1 26576

etc...

When scannining all I get is the group (Freeport) and the Tag ID Number (26576), but no aplha showing which department. The Group (Freeport) is actually the city is where the tower and repeater are located not the PD. There are several other departments working off that same tower. If this was for me the alpha tags wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it's a present for my 81 year old dad who is not too techno savy.

I've programmed several scanners but this one has been the hardest. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have assigned the system you programmed to a "SQKey" and the "group" to a "GQKey" or you will not see all the text....

sjlamb

Just edit the name in FreeScan to whatever you want it to display. In other words; remove "Freeport PD 1" and re-type whatever name you want. it to show. After you have edit existing Alpha Tags to suit you; upload the revised file to the scanner.

Your original post was misleading. From what I understand now; you DO have alpha tags being displayed... you just don't like the way that they are worded.

Get to work Santa... times getting short.

bundy125

Premium Subscriber
Hi RoninJoliet. Thanks for the info but I've looked thru the software and the menu thru "Virtual Scanner" and haven't been able to locate either "SQKey" or "GQKey". Programming this one is totally different than those I've programmed before(mostly Radio Shack), plus this is the first one I've programmed with software instead of from the keypad. I hate to be a bother, but could you give me a bit more direction on programming the "SQKey" & "GQKey"? Thanks so much for your help.

bundy125

Premium Subscriber
Well folks... I figured out the problem. When I downloaded all the data from the RR database, the towers were on one system, and the group id info was in a separate system. I copied all the group info over to the system with the towers and uploaded. Afterwards the Alpha tags came up with the Tower ID, Talkgroup Alpha Tag, and the Talkgroup number (I hope all this made sense, if not please excuse my being a newby). Please let me thank everyone who responded to this post and please accept my wishes for you and your families in having a Merry Christmas and Happy/Prosperous New Year!

sjlamb

Well folks... I figured out the problem. When I downloaded all the data from the RR database, the towers were on one system, and the group id info was in a separate system. I copied all the group info over to the system with the towers and uploaded. Afterwards the Alpha tags came up with the Tower ID, Talkgroup Alpha Tag, and the Talkgroup number (I hope all this made sense, if not please excuse my being a newby). Please let me thank everyone who responded to this post and please accept my wishes for you and your families in having a Merry Christmas and Happy/Prosperous New Year!

Nice save, Elf....

Status
Not open for further replies.