BCT15X Basic Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

posershadow

Hi all,

I come from the world of radar detectors so my understanding of scanners is a bit lacking. I plan on getting a BCT15X here pretty soon for trips along the 15 up to Vegas, using it mostly for monitoring CHP traffic. Based on what I have found out, the areas I'm looking at will use (42.56 B, 42.72 M), (39.26 B, 42.74 M), (39.88 B, 42.08 M), (39.68 B, 42.02 M) and (39.80 B, 42.84 M). All of which are CTCSS. Now of course, as soon as I get to Nevada, it's a whole different world with trunked radio in the 850mhz range. My knowledge of trunked systems isn't all that great, but I won't be using it as much as the conventional radio.

My questions on the 15X are mainly related to setting it up and how it scans. Typically with radar detectors, they just scan a whole range of frequencies continuously. When it finds a strong source, it sticks on that freq. With radio, I assume you have to program presets into it, to indicate which frequency you want to listen too individually. The 15X has some sort of state feature so it has some built in knowledge I think. Does that mean you just have to thumb through the freqs, almost like using your car stereo with automatic preset favorites? Or does it automatically pick up traffic on all of those pre-programmed frequencies automatically? My goal is to also pick up the mobile extenders and air patrol stuff at the same time. With scanners, can you set a whole series of frequencies into a group or do you have to go through them one by one?

And on the beartracker system, I assume all that does is warn you as soon as you start picking up a mobile extender. Now onto the Nevada side. With the trunked system, how would I go about setting that up? Would that just be another preset with Nevada as the state or am I going to have to manually add all of the info for the trunked setup.

I hope all that makes sense. Basic questions, but I'm getting lost when trying to figure out how I'm going to have to setup the 15X.

Thanks

KJ6HCB

It appears you are in the San Luis Obispo area of CA. So, welcome!

I have several BCT15s and dont use either the beartracker feature or the preprogrammed information.

Youve got the right idea - program in the frequencies you want to monitor, and then scan those. You can also connect a GPS module to the BCT15 and have it automatically activate/deactivate systems based on your location.

With this system, for example -you can have the entire statewide CHP programmed into your BCT15, but only the local CHP office to your current location will be audible for you to receive.

posershadow

Actually in the Riverside County area.

My hope with the scanner is to gain a little more forewarning of CHP in the area, even if they are just pulled over with a customer already. That is why I liked the beartracker feature. And I'm also interested in car-to-car and possibly air units.

When scanning over the frequencies I programmed in, will it be scanning bunches of them at once and relaying the traffic to me as it receives it? I suppose I probably can either program freqs individually or group them in bunches. Or is my only option to scan individually through one freq at a time? From the sounds of it, it will relay all traffic to me that it receives within my desired set of programmed freqs. And then the GPS feature will turn certain ones off depending on where I am. So as I don't receive traffic from some other CHP division.
I suppose the alternate method to GPS is just programming individual sets of freqs in different groups and switching manually as I know I'm crossing into new divisions. More work, but cheaper.
Is it fairly straightforward to program these groups of freqs? Also, as far as the mobile unit, you probably won't pick up that freq unless you are pretty close by because they are low powered right? And I wanted to confirm, when the CHP planes radio to the ground units, is that 122.875?

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I wouldn't go so far as to call entering frequencies in the DMA radios (of which the BCT15X is one) anywhere near straightforward. You have to get used to thinking in different terms - as for conventional frequencies, there are systems and groups. You can access the data in them in a number of ways (startup keys, quick keys, etc.).

Before you go attempting to program, I'd strongly suggest that you read up on how this technology works. Discard the Uniden manual or use it to hold your coffee mug. Scanner Master sells a printed XT manual and there's the downloadable Easier to Read manuals, both written by one of our members here. In addition we have a FAQ that has a lot of information, and the links for the Easier to Read manuals are at the bottom. The link (anything in blue is a link) is below...

Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.