bct15x / bc346xt - control channel only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksduster

Weather enthusiast
Feed Provider
Hello everyone,
I use to have a bct15 - but sold it..

got the bug, and bought the BCT15X, and also a BC346XT...

With the original BCT15, the display 3 - (trunking mode) would flash the control channel, and show activity on other channels, until it picked up one of the channels I had it scanning for.

I Noticed with the BCT15X, and 346XT, it only flashes the control channel, and does not show channel activity for any of the freqs programed.

Is that new with the newer firmware ? All you have to program now is the control channels for a Mot type II system?

SCPD

QRT
See the BC346XT Complete Reference Manual to read about Mode3 trunking activity.
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BC346XT/BC346XT_Complete_Reference.pdf

As far as the Mot CC you only need to program in the control channels to track a MOT II trunked system. However be aware that if the TRS changes to a diffent control channels a few months down the road then you will have to program in the new control channel to receive the system.
I always program in all frequencies for trunked systems so if there is a change I'm not listening to nothing. YMMV.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Keep in mind if you have the latest firmware revision, in Display Mode 3 the scanner will display the Unit ID information on Line 3 of the display, and no longer display the trunking indicators. This was changed on all XT models.
ScannerManuals < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

SCPD

QRT
All the posts above are correct... I dont have the manual in front of me, but I think that info is on page 120 something. I think 1 shows the control channel freq. #2 shows the talkgroup in dec or hex

Mark

SCPD

QRT
GT... I love the 346. That way if I go to a scene I can carry it with me and listen while watching. The 15X is a good radio, but hard to carry around a scene. (lol)

Mark

GTstyle

GT... I love the 346. That way if I go to a scene I can carry it with me and listen while watching. The 15X is a good radio, but hard to carry around a scene. (lol)

Mark

Hmmm... well I won't need to be holding it on scenes... just thought of handheld so I can listen @ home or car & swp between either easily/quickly.
Would you rate them @ about the same other then portability?

SCPD

QRT
Sorry... Meant if I went to calls that were close to my house. Not while on duty. I carry a HT 1250 at work. Yes we are in the 140.000 range.

Mark

ksduster

Weather enthusiast
Feed Provider
Just curious where you bough them? I had been looking for a BCT15X for the car, but that BC346XT handheld might be more useful.

What are the major pros/cons between each that you've found? Which do you prefer more?

To answer your question (sorry for the "LONG" delay).. i got them from Scanner Master - Police Scanners by Uniden Bearcat, AOR and Radio Shack.

If you want portable, BC346XT.. if you have the extra funds.. get the digital one (cant remember the model right now) Mobile, BCT15X is great!.. especially for the 800mhz band. with a tuned antenna. But again, if you have the extra funds, and can afford it without pushing yourself, I'd get the 996xt.. as alot of areas are going digital (yes even on the 400mhz range)

Pro's.. if you listen to 800mhz systems, and have the 800mhz antenna's, you can get the full use and near crystal clear reception (depending on distance, weather, interference of course).. I've noticed with have the proper antenna for your range.. really reduces interference..
I am 30 miles from wichita.. some 18 miles from the furthest north tower of Sedgwick county's 800mhz typeii system.. and its almost always perfect (unless a train is going by).. I've actually been asked how i get such good reception being so far away from listeners of my feed...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.