BCT15x Cold Temp, No Power...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7RRT

Feed Provider
In the colder air of the morning hours my BCT15 will not power-up... I can leave it on all night in the mobile and no problems. Any temps in the <45F and it won't power on until it warms up a bit... Any thoughts? In my experience, electronics usually perform well at these temps.

JamesO

Sounds like a bad solder joint? When things get cold, they contract, a bad solder joint may have issues in the colder temps, but when it warms up, the connections expand and make contact.

No pun intended, probably a cracked or cold solder joint on the connections for the power switching side of the volume control.

sfd119

I've had the 996XTs down in -30F and they have started up before. Albeit, the screen responded slow but that can be expected.

Sounds like a bad solder joint? When things get cold, they contract, a bad solder joint may have issues in the colder temps, but when it warms up, the connections expand and make contact.

No pun intended, probably a cracked or cold solder joint on the connections for the power switching side of the volume control.

thats on target,Ive had several electronic devices that would not start when cold,cold causes elements to contract,then when warmed they will expand..Laptops,Radios,Even home stereo receivers...Had to warm my home stereo with a hair drier to get it fired up.Wife was always puzzled when she go's looking for it and found it on top of the stereo..

To confirm,hit it with a hair drier,or sit it in the sun for a lil while..If it fires right up you found your cause...If your good with a solder gun,open her up and rewet the bead and it will heal itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.