BCT15X Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

blake23

I've read through the manual and can't seem to figure out how to get the Group Quick Keys to display while in Scan mode. I see that it shows them when I press the Function key, but is that the only time that the Group Quick keys are shown?

Thanks for any help.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've read through the manual and can't seem to figure out how to get the Group Quick Keys to display while in Scan mode. I see that it shows them when I press the Function key, but is that the only time that the Group Quick keys are shown?

Thanks for any help.

I noticed on mine that if I've set a Group QK but set all items to just a single QK that the GRP QK line will not display. The same is true if you create a system but do not assign any group quick keys.

I do believe that my 996 and 396 will show the group quick key line at the bottom even when only a single QK is assigned. The 15X does not seem to use that same logic and just hides the entire line when a single or no QK is assigned to a system. I know that confused me at first as I used ProScan to copy my systems from the 996XT to my new 15X after I deleted the P25 systems. I thought something did not work when I transferred the 996 systems over to the 15X using the method I did. I wish they allowed direct cloning between the X(t) series.
Anyway, on the one system I had that did have a single QK programmed, I used ProScan and assigned some of the frequencies too QK 2 and then the Group quick key line was visible for that system.

blake23

Yeah I tried to toggle between the 3 Display Modes and it didn't change anything regarding Group Keys.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I tried to toggle between the 3 Display Modes and it didn't change anything regarding Group Keys.

I see that I misread your original post. Ignore everything I said earlier as it does nothing for this odd problem you found.

I now see exactly what you are talking about. Mine is the same and will not show the Group Quick Keys when scanning unless I hit the Function button. That lights up the bottom (sixth) line and shows the info like it should but it times out with the Function button and goes back into hiding. Bad design. You should never need to hit any button to see the group quick key info when you are scanning a system with group quick keys in use.

The 396 and 996 are not like this at all. They both always show the group quick keys on the 6th or bottom line at all times while scanning or searching.
I like that as a simple glance will allow you to see if a GQK is on or not and that is how the 15X should also operate.

On the 15X, you must now press the function button to see this info. This is stupid as it requires you to go to the radio and press a button to see if a GQK is on or not. No glancing from across the room on this model.
And like you said, it does no matter what display mode you are in. The Group QK line goes away and hides itself as soon as the Function button press times out.
That seems wrong and is not consistent with the other like models.

I did find a way to keep the GQK line on the display but then you lose other display items. Hold the function button in until it locks in Function Hold mode (about three seconds). Then it will keep the GQK line (6th line) visible but then you lose the info that is normally displayed on the line above the System line (4th line). The 4th line will normally show things like the talkgroup or frequency and PL tone found but with Function hold on, all you get on the 4th line is the mode (NFM for example) and V+0. You also lose the signal strength bar graph meter on the top line! It is replaced with T---.--- whatever that means.

So, why does Uniden decide to hide the bottom or 6th line on the BCT15X when scanning or searching?
Anyone have an answer for that one?

I just received my 15X a few days ago so I'm still learning the differences compared to the 996 or 396. Now this 6th line mystery is found and it does not make any sense. I don't like this non feature.

Was there a previous firmware before 1.03.00 or was that the only FW for the 15X?
One where the sixth line stayed visible while scanning like the 396 and 996 do?
I checked and it has this same odd behavior on both trunked or analog conventional systems.

I would think this could be fixed with firmware but... will they ever do it.
Or maybe it can be toggled on/off so it does not timeout and hide. If anyone knows how, please advise!
None of the 3 display modes keep the 6th line from timing out and going into hiding.

I think someone forgot to take out the 6th line timeout setting when they built the firmware for the 15X. I wonder if the older 15 (non X) had the same problem?

Is the 6th line used for anything else? I can't say I ever see my 6th line turn on unless I hit the function button. Kinda like wasted real estate.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
They show up on my 15X and my 396T....and the instructions I gave are from the easier-to-read manual Click Here

But... do you also need to push the function knob in first in order to see them?
That is what I'm talking about and also how I understood the OP's original post and comments throughout his thread.

I did look at Mark's Scanner manual for the 15X and it even implies that the radio will only display the GQK's when in function or function hold mode so I assume you must also push the Function button.

With that said, thanks for making me look at mark's easier to read manual again as it does explain my question about what else the 15X uses the 6th line for. It is used to indicate if the beartracker or other beartracker like features are turned on.
It is those very same features that have priority of the 6th line being shown or not. They will always be shown on the display's 6th line instead of the GQK info.
And if none of those features are enabled, then the 6th line shows nothing unless you tap the function button.
If they are enabled, a tap of the function button overrides them until the function mode times out.

I feel it should be the other way around and give the 6th line priority to the GQK's but I guess Uniden felt differently about that.
I think most people turn off the beartracker features as soon as they get the things out of the box anyway if the easier to read manual and online reviews are accurate. They all complain of these features being turned ON by default and tell you how to turn them off.
So I'm sure it is the beartracker feature and its little two letter abbreviations that are taking priority of the 6th line which explains why it does not work like the 396 or 996. which keep the GQK's displayed on the 6th line always.
If anything, Uniden should have allowed the 6th line to always display the GQK info if one has all the beartracker like features turned off.

If your 15X ALWAYS displays the GQK's, please explain how again as mine sure will not do that! The 396 and 996 will but not the 15X.
The 15X only displays the beartracker settings or a blank 6th line unless the function buttton is pushed or locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.