Bct15x & gps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigyun2000

Hi all.

I have been looking thru the wiki files only to see that the BCT15X will only work with old GPS's. I believe due to the BCT15X having an RS252 serial interface. Most GPS's especially in the Garmin section use USB now. I have been reliably informed that you cannot use a serial to usb converter.

Is this an oversight on Uniden's part? It seems buying the latest scanner is not always best. I cannot believe that Uniden have not made a usb version for GPS or at least something software related so that it is possible to use a serial to usb converter.

Any ideas anyone? Please

Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The only two standards for location data from a GPS device are NMEA 0183, which is RS422 serial (easily handled by a RS232 port) and NMEA 2000 which uses a network-type interface. There is no standard that includes USB. Most GPS devices that have a USB port only use that port for software and map updates, there is no provision for actually outputting location data. The few that do output location data use a non-standard (i.e. USB) interface to do so, and would require specific drivers for the device to be loaded onto a scanner (and, since you cannot load drivers onto things like scanners, such GPS models effectively leave you out in the cold). It is a shame that some GPS manufacturers refuse to follow any industry interface standard on many models.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Not to nit-pick but there are many NEW GPS that will work.

Most hand helds and marine units have NMEA. The automotive units were never designed, nor intended to communicate with anything, and by communicate I do not mean upload/download data.

bigyun2000

Hi i am buying the Garmin GPS18 off ebay. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the 9 pin Serial connection please or know where i can find it.

Thanks

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.