BCT15X Group activation with GQKs unclear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edelweiss

Author of: Scanning the UK Airbands with the Beast
I am still confused using the BCT15X e.g. how to de/activate Groups within systems on the fly. This sort of makes the scanner useful for dynamic intercepts.
I have several systems programmed, each with several groups, probably most if not all of them assigned to GQKs.
In my normal operation the scanner scans several systems (not just one but also not all).
Consequently on the display the Systems being scanned flash when processed.

Say I want to turn off Group 3 in System 3 while scanning, how does one do that properly?

Consulting the manual one reads:

To use a GQK
  • Enter Scan mode.
  • Go to the system that contains the channel group you want to enable or disable.
  • Tap FUNCTION , then tap the number key that matches the GQK. (For example, if the GQK is 7 , enter FUNCTION / 7.)
  • Any channel groups assigned to this GQK within the current system only become disabled. (If they were already disabled, they become enabled.)

“Go to the System…” Now this is explained nowhere in detail. How does one do that while it is scanning across several? When pressing F during scanning the scanner stops at whatever system is just active (normally the wrong one that I do not want to modify) and the Group line is displayed. I found that one could/should press and hold F and then select the system. This works indeed and one has more time.

Good, now I turn the knob to view the desired system but what confuses the hell out of me is why there are two sets of groups displayed for every System when turning the dial, not one. (I have normally < 10 Groups per system). And both show different sets of active groups. It is thus very hard to discern which ones are really active.

Procedure: [Scanning several systems active]

1. Press F* (followings steps to be done quickly so F does not expire)
  2. Scanner stops at any of the activated system n and displays the groups line
  3. Turn knob clockwise -> Shoes next system n+1 and groups line
  4. Turn knob clockwise -> Shows this same system n+1 and a different set of groups. What is that?
  5. Turn knob clockwise -> Shows the next system n+2 and groups.
  6. etc
*Or press and hold F and go to step 3.

In other words the system moves on to the next only after the second knob indent.

Can anybody enlighten me what I am seeing here?

Thanks

lu81fitter

On my 15X, I usually only scan a couple systems at a time. If I'm scanning system 1 and 2, and want to lock out group 3 on system 2 on the fly while I'm driving, I'll reach down and press 1 (which locks out system 1). With only system 2 scanning, I'll hit "function-3", which locks out group 3 on the current system (which would be 2). When I'm done, I simply enable system 1 again. If you're scanning more systems, you will have to modify your approach.
I just tried the approach that you referenced above. It seems weird. But I have not used it before. It may be useful if you familiarize yourself with the process.
When you press "function" while scanning, it stops on the system currently being scanned. When you turn the function knob, it scrolls though the systems. When you get to the system that you want to lock out a group in, you must quickly press the group key assigned to the group you want to lock out.
Hope this helps.

Edelweiss

Yes, thank you. What you do makes sense and I tried this too. It works. But this requires taking systems off line so to speak. Turning the wheel after pressing F makes the two options for each systems appear. And then it makes it hard to discern which one is the correct one and who knows what the second set is... Maybe someone knows.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Be sure that you didn't duplicate the programming in the radio, that is, you didn't upload without overwriting the existing contents. To see if you have duplicated the systems, simply download the radio to a new file and look at it.
If you have large systems that seems to monopolize the scan time, you can shut off these Systems briefly to give a bit more time to grab the target system. If so, use the 0-9 SQKs so it is fast and easy.
As far as finding it difficult to zero in on a Single system to turn Groups on or off, it is easier the more channels there are in each group as it sits slightly longer on each System. I have gotten used to doing it so it doesn't seem to bad. It is however frustrating when something is happening and you want to activate certain groups quickly.

chris

Edelweiss

Oops Chris, this seem indeed what is happening. Using Pro-Scan I created a new DB and downloaded all (while deleting the DB content prior to download). And scrolling down I see double content and some systems with different amount of Groups and frequencies. NOW THIS EXPLAINS IT ALL. HW IT POSSIBLE IS STILL NOT QUITE CLEAR TO ME, I SUPPOSE THE DETAILS ARE IN THE UPLOAD WHEN ONE DOES NOT CLEAR THE MEMORY FIRST OR IN THE CORRECT WAY. Thansk VY much for pointing this out, for all readers: watch the details when up and downloading and database management! Download contentinto an empty DB and then check! Thanks again! M

lu81fitter

...... and who knows what the second set is... Maybe someone knows.

The 15X also has some preprogrammed stuff in it for the Beartracker thing or whatever its called. (It activates when you press the "POL" or "HP" buttons) If you scroll enough after pressing the function knob, it starts going through the preprogrammed stuff and, if I'm not mistaken, the search menu as well. Maybe that's what you are seeing.

Edelweiss

Yes, I got rid of most of that already and never use it. I'm in the UK. All works as expect now, great!

M

Status
Not open for further replies.