BCT15X IF shift ? AND Programming Cable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juskorfus

Question 1.) - According to the "manual" on CD-ROM and the internet, the BCT15X is supposed to be able to "shift" the IF, right? But I can not find ANY info on how to do this?

Question 2.) I have had this scanner for a month now and can not get the programing cable to work. My PC will recognize a HID ( using the USB to RS-232 or DB-9 connected to the RS-232 cable that came with the scanner), but when I start free scan OR ARC XT software, I get a windows error saying unknown USB device, and even using "find comm port" program, it will find the comm port, but will NOT communicate with the scanner. I live in a area where I can "hear" 3 to 5 counties in either direction (N, E, & W) as well as over 150 miles into the Gulf of Mexico (I am in the Pensacola / Gulf Breeze FL area), and I need to program about 400 Conventional and 5 or 6 Trunked systems (All Analog, MOT II and LTR systems). I have the Trunked systems and a couple counties programmed manually, but there is a TON of conventional freqs with CTCSS or DCS tones that are taking forever to program by hand (had this over a month and have 4 counties programmed (less than half done).
ANY suggestion on how to get the PC to connect to the scanner? I can program 4 other types of scanners, and several two-way radios as well as 2 types of Alpha pagers and Minitor pagers and they are read just fine by the PC? Why is the BCT15X so hard at communicating with the PC? Any / All suggestions appreciated!
I have read the yahoo groups archives, as well as everything (which is not much) on the internet, but nothing explains troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Walter

kilowa22

Question 1.) - According to the "manual" on CD-ROM and the internet, the BCT15X is supposed to be able to "shift" the IF, right? But I can not find ANY info on how to do this?

When you are monitoring a conventional frequency Press Hold/Resume button then Press FUNC > 4

Question 2.) I have had this scanner for a month now and can not get the programing cable to work. My PC will recognize a HID ( using the USB to RS-232 or DB-9 connected to the RS-232 cable that came with the scanner), but when I start free scan OR ARC XT software, I get a windows error saying unknown USB device, and even using "find comm port" program, it will find the comm port, but will NOT communicate with the scanner. I live in a area where I can "hear" 3 to 5 counties in either direction (N, E, & W) as well as over 150 miles into the Gulf of Mexico (I am in the Pensacola / Gulf Breeze FL area), and I need to program about 400 Conventional and 5 or 6 Trunked systems (All Analog, MOT II and LTR systems).

If you are using the Front Serial port Connection using the Uniden Supplied Serial Cable:
Menu > Settings > Set Serial Port > Set Baud Rate > Set Front Port > 115200 bps
then in the FreeScan program make sure you use the correct com port number & speed
From the Freescan Program Menu: Scanner > Control Scanner > Com Port Setup
select the correct COM PORT number then the speed of 115200.

If you are using the Rear Serial port Connection you must have a Null modem adapter to
use the rear serial port with any computer:
Menu > Settings > Set Serial Port > Set Baud Rate > Set Rear Port > 115200 bps
then in the Free scan program make sure you use the correct Windows com port number & speed
From the Freescan Program Menu: Scanner > Control Scanner > Com Port Setup
select the correct COM PORT number then the speed of 115200.

Amazon.com: Slimline Null Modem Adapter, DB9 Male / Female:…

I have the Trunked systems and a couple counties programmed manually, but there is a TON of conventional freqs with CTCSS or DCS tones that are taking forever to program by hand (had this over a month and have 4 counties programmed (less than half done).
ANY suggestion on how to get the PC to connect to the scanner? I can program 4 other types of scanners, and several two-way radios as well as 2 types of Alpha pagers and Minitor pagers and they are read just fine by the PC? Why is the BCT15X so hard at communicating with the PC? Any / All suggestions appreciated!
I have read the yahoo groups archives, as well as everything (which is not much) on the internet, but nothing explains troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Walter

kilowa22

I have the Trunked systems and a couple counties programmed manually, but there is a TON of conventional freqs with CTCSS or DCS tones that are taking forever to program by hand (had this over a month and have 4 counties programmed (less than half done).
Thanks,
Walter

How to Quickly add a Conventional frequency to a SYSTEM from the front keypad, applies to all Uniden XT Scanners.

1. While the scanner is scanning press Hold/Resume button.
2. Enter in the frequency, for example 162.55
3. Press Eyes key.
4. Quick Freq Save?
5. Press .No key
6. Select System (Select Any System shown)
7. Select Group (Select any Group)
8. Press Eyes key.
9. Edit CTCSS. Modulation and all settings for the new system channel.
9a. If you need to add more frequencies to that System > Group then scroll to the New Channel selection and pres Eyes key.
then repeat for each frequency you are adding.
10. When Done press L/O key

Last edited:

juskorfus

Thanks

I understand how to program manually, I have over 1,200 conventional and many MOT II & LTR systems, it is the setting Alpha tags that takes so long, time I really don't have to put into this, but I need the alpha tags due to the heavy use of many agencies using the same freqs around me, just different CTCSS or DCS codes.

I appreciate the help though,
Thanks,
Walter

juskorfus

Still does not work? Hmmm, I am at a loss <scratches head>

When you are monitoring a conventional frequency Press Hold/Resume button then Press FUNC > 4

Thanks,
That was a great help!

But I have a ton of Null modems, and I have done all the tips you gave me before, I have been searching for a month or so as to why my PC just decided to quit communication with many devices and will not even try to communicate with the BCT15X?
It does not recognized one of my USB flash drives now that I reinstalled the driver for the USB to RS-232 that connects to the scanner supplied programming cable... I am totally stumped! I wish I still had a Win98 SE PC, I can not stand XP, Vista or Win 7!

I try in vain as it just will not work, I have a friend with the VERY PC scanner setup, and his works fine, I would try his PC if he was not 2,000 miles away!

Any other ideas?

juskorfus

Error connecting to BCD15X with USB to Programming cable

This is the error I keep getting no matter what I do, it is the same every time, ANY suggestion welcome... I need help please.

Error: See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream..ctor(String portName, Int32 baudRate, Parity parity, Int32 dataBits, StopBits stopBits, Int32 readTimeout, Int32 writeTimeout, Handshake handshake, Boolean dtrEnable, Boolean rtsEnable, Boolean discardNull, Byte parityReplace)
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Open()
at FreeSCAN.frmCOMPort.cmdTest_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
FreeSCAN
Assembly Version: 0.8.3.0
Win32 Version: 0.8.3.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/scannow.org/FreeSCAN/FreeSCAN.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

( It is the same every time ) ???

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'd suggest posting FreeScan questions/issues in our software forum. Assaf (the author) is a frequent visitor, and he'll get back to you as soon as he can, I'm sure. Posting it here reduces the chances he'll see it since the thread title doesn't reflect the subject

73 Mike

juskorfus

Not exactly a freescan question.....

Ok,
I'll start again for those who did not read the entire thread... I CAN NOT get the radio to communicate with the PC, not even to update firmware if there is any? It is not a matter of software, something in the HARDWARE is blocking communications.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think that your problem is with Windows or your PC itself. You say that a number of USB devices now don' t work, including the cable. If you haven't already, I'd suggest you run a full virus scan with software that will check for viruses, rootkits, and other forms of malware. Do you update your computer frequently with the latest updates from Microsoft?

You say that you can program other radios, scanners, and pagers with no problem. Are you using USB to serial devices to connect them or are you using a serial port?

juskorfus

Possibly, BUT...

I think that your problem is with Windows or your PC itself. You say that a number of USB devices now don' t work, including the cable. If you haven't already, I'd suggest you run a full virus scan with software that will check for viruses, rootkits, and other forms of malware. Do you update your computer frequently with the latest updates from Microsoft?

You say that you can program other radios, scanners, and pagers with no problem. Are you using USB to serial devices to connect them or are you using a serial port?

It will not work on any of my 3 PCs, my brother's 2 PCs, my sister's 3 PCs, OR any of the 5 PCs I tried at the Firehouse I used to be at??? Any thoughts there? It also will not work with ARC XT ( not the demo, the full version!).

Again, any thoughts? I am open for ANY AND ALL input no matter how far fetched! I just want it to communicate! I am about to have a melt-down here

juskorfus

No maleware etc...

I keep ALL 3 of my PCs up to date with windows update, I have McAfee Internet Security Pro and even though the 1 PC does have some USB issues, the other 2 do not, neither does 10 others I have tried this past 2 weeks? I do not use the USB cable, I use the USB to RS-232 -> serial cable that came with the BCT15X, I just can not get it to find the scanner no matter what PC i put it on?? Is this normal ? I mean, a guy that is a SYS Admin for a Clerk of Court could not even get it to connect (find the scanner), and we have tried the cable that came with the scanner using the front port on the scanner AND using a null modem, the port on the rear of the scanner and set the scanner to every baud rate...I mean this is ridiculous! I am so close to taking the scanner and PCs to the top of the 80 ft water tower and seeing if they can fly!
And I do not know ANYONE locally that has a DMA scanner, so there is no one to help me, I wish I had just sprung the extra cash and had it programmed before it was shipped, BUT the only reason I didn't, I have my own "systems" set up in a file, I don't want "everything" generically just programmed on here, I want specific stuff, many of which I have that are active local freqs, are NOT published anyway, they are military or other government, so it really would not even help to have paid for the pre-programming, and the "State" programming that is pre-loaded is wrong anyway. I set mine to "Florida" the first day I got it, sure it found a few freqs active, but it said Hwy Patrol when it was just a city water department??? Go figure.
I am about to just give up and get another legacy scanner that I can use Win97 and program in 2 or 3 hours have 10 trunked systems and 800 channels programmed and not have a worry again, but I just had to have this!

garys

Premium Subscriber
I keep ALL 3 of my PCs up to date with windows update, I have McAfee Internet Security Pro and even though the 1 PC does have some USB issues, the other 2 do not, neither does 10 others I have tried this past 2 weeks? I do not use the USB cable, I use the USB to RS-232 -> serial cable that came with the BCT15X, I just can not get it to find the scanner no matter what PC i put it on??

You've got me a bit confused here. The cable that comes with the scanner is a RS-232. You are trying to connect via a USB to RS232 adapter connected to that cable, right?

juskorfus

Sorry, you are right

You've got me a bit confused here. The cable that comes with the scanner is a RS-232. You are trying to connect via a USB to RS232 adapter connected to that cable, right?

Yes, I am just using the supplied cable with the BCT15X and the USB to RS232 adapter cable. The thing is after trying it on more than 20 PCs now. I got 1 (ONE) to recognize the cable, but it still will not communicate with the scanner, not even to update the firmware??? I REALLY need to understand what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Walter

juskorfus

QUESTION:
Would the aftermarket USB to BCT15X cable (the one with the "bulge" in the middle of the cable), work better? I can't see spending $35 to $40 plus shipping on a cable that will still not work... here is a link to the cable I am speaking of; Uniden USB Cable

js_scan888

On the back of MOST PC's is serial port commonly refered to as a DB-9 port.
The RS-232 cable that comes with the BCT15X fits DIRECTLY into this DB-9 port.
The other end of this RS-232 cable fits directly into the FRONT of the scanner.

No other cable or adapter should be used with the above method. It sounds to me like you are trying to add another cable/adapter to the setup, which could be the reason for all your problems. The above method has nothing to do with a USB connection. Try it, it works.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A null modem cable would only be needed if you are using the rear port of the 15/15x/996 or 996x. However a lot of folks avoid this; you cannot update firmware (think the brains of the scanner) if you are using the rear port. You MUST use the front port for this.

Did you configure the BCT15X's ports using the various menus, as kilowa22 mentions?

I just skimmed this thread, but I didn't see anything about checking to see if the driver (assuming here that you loaded the correct USB driver on each PC you tried) allocated a valid COM port. It's kinda stupid that way - it might try to allocate a COM port that's actually held by something else, like a USB driven camera or bluetooth. Some of these drivers even stay resident when the item is disconnected. Did you check Device Manager?. This article describes this in detail...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.