BCT15X or BCD996XT for GTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canvoodoo

I'm contemplating a new electronics installation for a car that I'm planning to get this fall. I've been out of scanning for a long time, but I'm quite impressed with the new generation of equipment, and I would like to include one as part of the package.

The two scanners that I'm contemplating are the Uniden BCT15X and the BCD996XT. I've got a reasonable handle on the tecnical difference between the two radios.

Based on the types of radio systems in use in the GTA, is it worth spending the extra $$$ for a BCD996XT? I would appreciate the opinions of scanner listeners in the Toronto region.

VE3RADIO

I'm contemplating a new electronics installation for a car that I'm planning to get this fall. I've been out of scanning for a long time, but I'm quite impressed with the new generation of equipment, and I would like to include one as part of the package.

The two scanners that I'm contemplating are the Uniden BCT15X and the BCD996XT. I've got a reasonable handle on the tecnical difference between the two radios.

Based on the types of radio systems in use in the GTA, is it worth spending the extra $$$ for a BCD996XT? I would appreciate the opinions of scanner listeners in the Toronto region.

Really depends.. All of the GTA is pretty much analog with the exception to that rule being the OPP. That being said, I can think lof 4 of the 6 municipalities in the area that have plans to upgrade by the end of 2013.. Halton will be digital within the next few months, Hamilton is testing their new digital system, Toronto has put a new digital control channel up and Durham will be in the next few months.

pathalogical

Durham Transit is also on the GO system. It's hard to ignore a digital scanner in Ontario, since you mentioned mobile installation, you never know where you'll be.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
If your super budget consious and short term oriented go analog. You'll get *almost* everything except right now except OPP Barrie Police/fire Go Transit (including durham transit) which are all digital and you won't get Niagara Police Orangeville or Durham Police.

In the future as pointed out all GTA will be going digital. Halton Hamilton Toronto are all at different stages of testing. Peel Durham York I'm sure not far behind.

If you can afford it go digital. If ur on a tight budget go analog and enjoy for now.

Send me a PM or email and I can give you some pricing for both

Canvoodoo

Thanks for the opinions on the scanners. Based on the conversions to digital that appear to be in the works in the GTA, it looks like the BCD996XT will be the way to go for me.

ECCS

Grab a 996xt from torontokris if he has any

I bought 2 off him and they are a gem...

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
If you have the extra cash invest in the 996 and buy it from TorKris he will be the cheapest and bast to deal with either way... Don't buy it from Durham or Radio World their to over priced...

In the next 2 years you will need the digital more then now... So invest in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.