BCT15X or BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegger

Well I am looking for a scanner for my office and the bct15x and bcd996xt seem logical. My office is in the city of pittsburgh and I see that the city is mostly all analog. Does any one know if the city of pittsburgh plans to go to digital anytime soon is the question number one? Does anyone see any additional benefit for my office listening to go with the 996xt over the 15x? thanks in advanced Nick

Allegheny County made some upgrades to UHF and are still working on it. As far as Public Safety monitoring AC SWAT and The City of Pittsburgh School Police are on P25 so far. I really don't see AC(they dispatch the City OF PGH) going full blown Digital any time soon. Findlay Twp. is self dispatched and they recently went to P25. You should be able to hear them both. The FBI/US Marshall's have a Field Office in Pittsburgh , the VA Hospital Police are on Digital, Encryption may be present. The price difference between them is approx. $150 +- . I have both radio's, I like the BCD996 to listen to Westmoreland County(Digital). I use the BCT15 primarily for MILAIR and Allegheny County .
Have you thought of a BCD396t Hand held? It is similar to the 996 but a hand held.
If you need help programming the one you choose let me know!!
Good luck!!!
Brian

pegger

well that is my second question I live on the westmorland allegheny county border and my office is in oakland. what are the chances I can pickup westmorland from oakland?

pegger

I am new to all of this but currently I have a BC125AT in the office currently and that is the unit that started the addiction

I live in the City By Children's Hospital. I can't pick them up from home. But I don't have a 800 Mhz outdoor antenna, I listen to Westmoreland when I am working in Plum. If the conditions were correct from your office, The higher the better,a window facing the correct direction it may be possible.

pegger

What are your thoughts on the BCD436HP that way I can have it in the office and take oh home as well or do you think maybe the BCD536HP is the way to go. Also is there any reason you like the 396T, personally I feel if I am going to spend that much money I might as well go with the 436HP.

You could try programming 154.040 in. This is the Fire pager freq., you would only here Dispatch but it has pretty good coverage. 154.160 is their Medic dispatch. They are both simulcast with the 800 Mhz digital. Another option would be to use a computer and listen from that, here is the link to Westmoreland County....All you need is a computer/speakers and internet or a tablet/Smart Phone with a APP(Scanner Radio & wifi)
Westmoreland County Public Safety

bear780ks

Well I am looking for a scanner for my office and the bct15x and bcd996xt seem logical. My office is in the city of pittsburgh and I see that the city is mostly all analog. Does any one know if the city of pittsburgh plans to go to digital anytime soon is the question number one? Does anyone see any additional benefit for my office listening to go with the 996xt over the 15x? thanks in advanced Nick

I got a 396XT and a 996XT and I like them both.. only challenge that you may incur with either of them is Loading the software.. once the loading is done and with some minor reading on the scanner there really simple to operate..

The 436 & 536 were just released for sale a few months ago and they both still have some bugs they need to work out.. At this time I would not buy either of these until they have all the problems ironed out. (This is my opinion). I came to this decision after reading some of the post about the radios and how upset people were getting.
The 396 & 996 have been around for some time and are pretty stable. It is pretty much all depending on what your needs are and what you can afford. Portables are more useful for the money, My 396 goes back and forth to work each day and I really enjoy it. Actually some people have no choice but to go Digital, at least we have a for now.
The new scanners that you use a computer to program don't have banks like your 125. However I don't like listening to everything at once so I created Groups aka Banks for Allegheny County ie: North, South, West and so on. This way I can lock them out as a Group/Bank and listen to a particular area. ICORRS ICORRS (Inter County Regional Radio System) Trunking System, Multiple, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies is a multi county dispatch that includes Westmoreland/Armstrong/Indiana/Fayette and soon to be Somerset Counties you can Program all of these as one or Group them...
The scanner you choose, if it needs programmed I will try to help you if you like!!!!

JamesO

Price is not dropped in my area on the 996XT, which it was. Appears to be a regional/district clearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.