BCT15X Problem Programming Motorola Type 2 800 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ88

I attempted to program the New Jersey State Police Motorola Type 2 800 System into my 15X but am not having any luck picking up the control channel. Here's the info from the database, if anyone needs to see it:
New Jersey State Police Trunking System, Statewide, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies
I'm programming Central Simulcast.

I set it up at MOT 800 Standard, programmed the frequencies, and Standard Band Plan. Rebanding for this system does not require a special band plan because none of the frequencies fall into that category as they alll ind in the numeral 5.

A friend of mine is also attempting to program it into his 996XT using software and is having the same problem. Location is not a problem for either of us as we receive it on our other scanners. I did check the online manual but it doesn't offer much help unless I'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're not hearing the control channel, you won't be able to trunk it. A better antenna is called for in this case, likely not a programming issue, at least from your description. Do you have all the control channels programmed? Are you using control channel only? What software are you using?

I have very little trouble getting all simulcasts as I travel through NJ (to visit my family in Hawthorne and Wayne). I'm using a 396 programmed with FreeScan.

One thing that would be a programming issue is not allocating and enabling a site QK for the Central system. That is an easy mistake to make, and you wouldn't 'hear' the CC if you forgot this.

There's not enough info here to diagnose this properly 73 Mike

Last edited:

Highpockets

I attempted to program the New Jersey State Police Motorola Type 2 800 System into my 15X but am not having any luck picking up the control channel. Here's the info from the database, if anyone needs to see it:
New Jersey State Police Trunking System, Statewide, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies
I'm programming Central Simulcast.

I set it up at MOT 800 Standard, programmed the frequencies, and Standard Band Plan. Rebanding for this system does not require a special band plan because none of the frequencies fall into that category as they alll ind in the numeral 5.

A friend of mine is also attempting to program it into his 996XT using software and is having the same problem. Location is not a problem for either of us as we receive it on our other scanners. I did check the online manual but it doesn't offer much help unless I'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

After 3 hours of fooling, I figured it out, it was the antenna, I must have a problem with my outside antenna, I replaced the antenna with the antenna that came with the scanner, (go figure) and it is now tracking fine. I was almost bald <laughing> :D

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
See if you can hear the control channel if you program them conventionally (or just quick tune to them: HOLD, freq, HOLD). If you don't hear the motorboat when tuned conventionally, it won't be trackable.

DJ88

The antenna is not the problem. I run my 996T off of an outside roof discone antenna and it receives the system with no difficulty. All of my other scanners (396T, 785D and 898T) receive it with the standard base antenna that came with them. I hooked the 15X up to the outside antenna and could not receive the system at all. Hooked the 996T back up to it and it comes in loud and clear. I am not using software, never do, I programmed it manually as I always do, and I programmed ALL of the frequencies, control and voice, as I always do. I checked and double checked the frequencies and they are all correct.

DJ88

I manually scrolled through the frequencies and am getting voice on some of them. When I reached the control channel, I got the motorboat sound. Also, on the screen it flashes STATE SYS C TRS (The name I gave the system) and SIDB11Eh-001 back and forth and under that I am seeing different talk group IDs go on and off. And....why wouldn't it be trackable on this scanner only? If you read the way I programmed it in my orignal post, did I do everything correctly?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I hooked up the outside antenna again, no go, so I guess I have antenna work when the weather warms up.

Is it possible that you have the attenuator turned on for this site?
While the 15x is scanning the system press Hold key
Press EYes key
Select Edit Site
Select the site
Scroll to Set Attenuator and make sure it is off.

DJ88

Thanks for your input everyone. I now have it working. I programmed a few talk groups, put it in ID SCAN and it's showing the control channel on the display and picking up the TGs fine. For some reason when I had it in ID SEARCH it wasn't showing the control channel on the display and I assumed it wasn't tracking the system.

Highpockets

Thanks for your input everyone. I now have it working. I programmed a few talk groups, put it in ID SCAN and it's showing the control channel on the display and picking up the TGs fine. For some reason when I had it in ID SEARCH it wasn't showing the control channel on the display and I assumed it wasn't tracking the system.

Great, we're both back in business! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.