BCT15X Rear Serial Port Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Can the serial port on the back of the BCT15X be used for programming/control instead of that jack on the front?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Rear Port

Can the serial port on the back of the BCT15X be used for programming/control instead of that jack on the front?

Yes, However, you need a NULL MODEM cable to do it. You can CONTROL and update using FREESCAN or ARC. Be AWARE that FIRMWARE update MUST be done via the front port. I took my feed offline and used FREESCAN and ARC996 both with my 996T and it worked fine via the rear port. Note that I use the rear port for feeding tag information to radio reference.

eaf1956
KC9LVX

Also, be sure to check your COM port settings.

Last edited:

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
I just want to program/control using ProScan via that back port. It so darn hoaky having that cable plugged in the front. Never understood that design decision.

W6KRU

I just want to program/control using ProScan via that back port. It so darn hoaky having that cable plugged in the front. Never understood that design decision.

Install it in your dash and attempt to update it using the rear port. It will make a little more sense then.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Din

Install it in your dash and attempt to update it using the rear port. It will make a little more sense then.

OMG you mean they still got cars with DIN radio slots? Couldn't put my 996T in my car dash if I wanted to.

I used the rear port for ONLINE control and programming on my 996T I assume it is the same with the 15 you just need a NULL Modem cable. Note: When I first tried feeding TAG Ingo from the rear port I bought a F-F rs232 cable and it didn't work. Went and got a M-M Null modem cable (it was all they had) with 2 gender changers and it worked fine.

BTW: I tried actually doing this before I replied so I know it works on the 996T

KC9LVX

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Rear Port for TAGs

I just wanted to ADD that the rear port has to be activated in the FIRMWARE. Just go to SYSTEM SETTINGS and set BAUD rate for both Front and Rear ports

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure that a full null modem cable is requred but I am sure it will work. I make my own cables and just swapped pins 2 and three and works for me.
Full Modem Cable -
6 6 DSR

I think you can get away with this on DB9 connectors, Sheided cable just pins 2,3 & 5 Signal Ground, Pins 2 to 3 and 3 to 2 and 5 to 5

Last edited:

K4APR

I'm not sure that a full null modem cable is requred but I am sure it will work. I make my own cables and just swapped pins 2 and three and works for me.
Full Modem Cable -
6 6 DSR

I think you can get away with this on DB9 connectors, Sheided cable just pins 2,3 & 5 Signal Ground, Pins 2 to 3 and 3 to 2 and 5 to 5

A basic null configuration is just pins 2 and 3 swapped on one end. A full null config is needed these days, unless flow control is being used.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
Used a serial cable I had laying around with a Null Modem and F to F adapter. Seems to be working fine to control the BCT15X via my ProScan software. Thanks all for the info!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Super

Used a serial cable I had laying around with a Null Modem and F to F adapter. Seems to be working fine to control the BCT15X via my ProScan software. Thanks all for the info!

Thats SUPER...Glad it works for you!

KC9LVX Evansville, In Feed

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
OK, so my birthday is coming up and my Fiancee is feeding my need for mobile solutions. Do you recommend the 15X? Installed in the dash and all that. What software should i use for progging and such. I have never had a scanner in my truck other than a handheld, but want something a little sexier. What do you think.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We don't know where you are (county/state will do), so it's hard to know whether the 15X would do the job for you. Some areas are using digital trunking and that's something that scanner cannot handle.

Please go up to the User CP (which is under the thread title) in the blue toolbar, click on that, then hit Edit Your Details, go about 2/3 of the way down for the right box to enter that stuff.

As for programming, go get FreeScan which is freeware (you can always go to ProScan or the ARC modules - which are paid packages - later. But this is more than good enough to get you off the ground). The user guide is hosted in our Wiki, which I'll get to in a moment. You will also need a USB-serial adapter, as most PCs these days don't have serial ports.

Our wiki has an enormous amount of information about this, DMA (which is dynamic memory allocation, the way Uniden scanners allocate memory - assuming you're not familiar with it) and trunking in general. Under the Scanner Master ad, in the blue toolbar, float your mouse over Wiki then select Wiki Home. Links for all those topics, and much more, are found here.

73 Mike

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
Northern NJ, NYC and Long Island

If you want to listen to Jersey City, you need digital. NJSP is analog, as are NYPD and FDNY, including EMS. I think LI is still all analog. If you go to CT, you'll definitely want something with digital capabilities. If you go down to Somerset County, Edison, East Brunswick, and that area you'll want digital, although some of the PDs are encrypted.

Hope that helps.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As this is the Uniden forum, the BCD996XT is the way to go here. You might save a few bucks by going with the older 996T, but from what I understand, the digital audio recovery isn't quite as good as the XT model.

And by the way, FreeScan works with both 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.