BCT15X Virginia Beach ORION

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomerVF14

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
ORION is a P25 digital system. The 15X doesn't receive P25 digital. Before buying a scanner, check to see if it will actually receive the types of systems in your area.

JamesO

If the budget can tolerate it, suggest you keep the 15X as it is a good radio and there are analog services to monitor and I think the 15X is probably better on Airband than the P25 scanners.

The 996XT is a great scanner if you can find a decent price on one used, but the prices are holding well on these.

The 996P2 is more future proof and supports Phase 2, DMR and ProVoice with paid upgrrades, hopefully soon NXDN as well.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
So I just bought this model and have spent a ridiculous amount of time just trying to figure out how to make it work. After all these hours spent I still have no idea if it will even pick up my local system.

It is Virginia Beach ORION Site 2:
Overlay Regional InterOperability Network (ORION) Trunking System, Various, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

I have all the frequencies, band plans, and talkgroups entered and labeled.

And I still hear nothing.

Is this device a $156 doorstop???

I have several scanners (7) and live in the hampton roads area. the 996p2 seems deaf compared to my pro 197 and my 436hp and 395xt's (i have two). my advice, for where you are, get a 436hp if you want a handheld OR a 536 if you want a base unit. another good one, but not p2, is the 396xt. great little handheld. if i had to only buy one, it would be the 436hp handheld. you live in the scanne MECCA where you are. we have so many system here to copy in terms of cities and also have tons and i mean tons of military bases. get a 436hp and you will love life!

BoomerVF14

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into those other models. And in my defense, there is no clear explanation anywhere in the product descriptions or manual as to whether this unit will work in my area. I'm reluctant to reward Uniden with more of my money because their BCT15X manual could serve as Exhibit A in the "Museum of Worst Documents Ever Written in Human History."

JamesO

I have not see the 996P2 as a deaf scanner. Not sure what bands and services you are monitoring.

I have about 10 scanners going at any time and I have a lot of 996XT, 996P2, 536HP and a few Radio Shack Digital trunkers.

coolderb

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into those other models. And in my defense, there is no clear explanation anywhere in the product descriptions or manual as to whether this unit will work in my area. I'm reluctant to reward Uniden with more of my money because their BCT15X manual could serve as Exhibit A in the "Museum of Worst Documents Ever Written in Human History."

I was about to ask why you would purchase the BCT15X after looking at the system info. from the RRDB. Then I did a little research and discovered how easy it is to make that mistake. I Googled BCT15X. One of the first hits is the ScannerMaster website. They describe the BCT15X as "...the 15X is a great (non-digital) trunking scanner".
Conversely on the Uniden site it is decribed as
"BCT15X BearTracker Scanner with 9,000 Channels
TrunkTracker III Technology
9000 Dynamically Allocated Channels
Close Call® RF Capture Technology
System / Channel Number Tagging
Location-Based Scanning"

Nowhere on the Uniden site does it mention the words "Analog" or "Non-Digital". I'm not sure if it is deliberate deception or the result of them not updating that particular web page in years.

BoomerVF14

^^Yep, and thanks coolderb for the forceful backup.

Even less helpful is how Amazon lumps a whole slew of Uniden scanners into one product entry with 1,000 Q&A and over 3,000 reviews, making it well-nigh impossible to find any useful information about the particular device you are examining.

This has been such a bad experience I'm doubtful I will ever delve any farther into the RF world.

JamesO

Don't let this derail you. There is a lot of great monitoring both Analog and Digital and you would be surprised what is useful to monitor.

I listen to the local public school school bus channels. Where I live we have the largest school bus fleet in the country and between hearing about traffic and weather that the bus drivers are dealing with, you would be surprised how informed you can be! This happens to be all on an large Analog trunked system, I think this was all the retired Public Service system equipment before the upgrade to the P25 system.

Once you really get into monitoring you will have more that one radio, you will need it.

Nothing like being well informed.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip> Even less helpful is how Amazon lumps a whole slew of Uniden scanners into one product entry with 1,000 Q&A and over 3,000 reviews, making it well-nigh impossible to find any useful information about the particular device you are examining.

This has been such a bad experience I'm doubtful I will ever delve any farther into the RF world.

I agree Amazon needs to separate these models out, it can be confusing. If you drill down though there is a comparison chart showing the various models, and includes info on analog and digital capabilities. Also it is possible to filter the reviews so you are only viewing the ones that apply to the model of interest.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
^^Yep, and thanks coolderb for the forceful backup.

Even less helpful is how Amazon lumps a whole slew of Uniden scanners into one product entry with 1,000 Q&A and over 3,000 reviews, making it well-nigh impossible to find any useful information about the particular device you are examining.

When trying to research whether a particular scanner can decode something, the first step is to fully research (using our database) what it is you are trying to hear, then use our wiki, which has a great deal of scanner information, including the various modes that a particular scanner can cover.

Keep in mind that nowadays, it's not just Phase 1 P25 systems you need to consider. There's Phase 2, DMR / MOTOTRBO, NXDN (still very much a work in progress) and ProVoice (at least these are the 4 modes that can now be copied by scanners, assuming they're unencrypted). So just saying 'digital' is no longer so specific.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.