BCT8? State search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbear21200

Premium Subscriber
Inquiry !!
I am traveling all 48 states and am thinking about getting a BCT8. It says it is pre-loaded with each states info. I am assuming this is just HP and State Police. Are the states complete? and has anyone had much experience/success in scanning the State PD and HP systems using this scanner in the preprogrammed "state" mode. Now with many of the states with 800 systems up and running, how accurate/up to date is the datebase info? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dave

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well I don't have one and cannot speak to the accuracy of the prestored information; however, it is obvious that it will not work the way you think in several states--including yours.

It is not a digital scanner so it will not work in South Dakota, Michigan and yes even in Ohio. Several states use wide spread trunking networks, some more than others. The trend is spreading and digital is the trend. Of course there are those areas (like New York) that use a system that no scanner can follow. I know this is a discouraging message, but it is better that you know there is no "one scanner fits all" solution.

twolf816

it does well with 800 mhz around here....however, like loumaag said, no digital or provoice

it will not allow you to hear EVERY conversation...but its accurate enough that youll have plenty to hear

but it is a good scanner, my only complaint is unless u have uasd or butel's software...trunking systems can be a pain to program..especcially edacs...but not impossible

i love mine

EDIT: and no it is not just state police, common law enforcement frequencies is more like it

kc2kvz

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify LouMaag's statement; New York is not yet using the Open Sky system. The preloaded frequencies, at least for NYSP are correct and functional in several areas of the state. As far as any of the 800mhz frequecies, you will hear control channels, but you then have to program them into a bank to hear the trunk systems. I used a BCT8 for a few years and had decent results in NY and new england, but it's impossible to hear everything.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
kc2kvz said:
Just to clarify LouMaag's statement; New York is not yet using the Open Sky system.
Thanks for that information, I guess since it has been in the DB so long I thought it was active. I have placed a disclaimer in the Misc Info block that it is not in use yet.

The bct8 picks up Mass SP but I have not had the alert function work yet with the scanner (only with the state scanning, will not alert with private scanning). It does not work with CT or NH as they both use digital. I have had it for a few weeks and works great. I am looking to sell mine $150, only to buy a digital mobile radio. But the bct8 works great in MASS

Status
Not open for further replies.