BCT8 vs BC898T

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty9999

I'm torn between the BCT8 vs BC898T for my first scanner. I can't afford a digital scanner yet so I need to stick with an analog one for the time being.

The features seem to be very similar on these scanners but I'm hoping someone can advise me if one is better than the other.

I want to listen to local police, ems and whatever I can find. I suppose I can be classified as a causal / entry level person so I don't need anything fancy.

Both scanners are used and on ebay and are roughly the same price with the Uniden BCT8 being a little more expensive.

Thanks

Bucko

The 898 does have PL tones which can be a plus, don't believe the 8 has it. My 898 is very selective and hears very well.

smitty9999

The 898 is cheaper and in Ontario so shipping would also be cheaper. The main difference that I can see between the two scanners is that the BCT8 has beartracker while the 898 does not

R1VINCE

Ive had both
I dont have my BCT-8 anymore however.

advantages of the 898
1. 898 has PL tone decode
2. 898 does Milair
3. 898 has 250 more channels
4. for my sausage like appendages, the 898t is much easier to operate because it is a much larger radio. Buttons and knobs are larger and more spread out.

Not to say that the BCT-8 is impossible or harder to use. I used my BCT-8 for 2 years before selling it. It wasnt a bad radio at all to use. I just prefer the larger radio for desktop use. I actually sold mine because it didnt have features like Milair.

Feature set in mind, Id put my money on the 898T(assuming you dont need a "mobile" scanner)

Good luck in your purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.