BDC436HP is a Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbelter

In my experience the uniden customer care representatives have been positive , supporting and accommodating . I also need to mention that my both 436 and SDS 200 are free of issues and working very well .

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If a person let a scanner sit in a hot car is that bad for them? Say 100 degrees in the vehicle? My experience says no unless it was in the direct sunlight on the dash or something. Warm would be in this case maybe 10 degrees above room temp..
That was going to be my next question, how warm was warm in your opinion. What you describe should be fine and it's a heck of a lot cooler than the SDS100's run after they have been powered on for a short amount of time.

So... is it totally dead as in nothing on the display and no noise or pops at all from the speaker when you hold the power key and try to turn it on? How about then you plug a live USB cable into it, does it ask if you want to start charging?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
If a person let a scanner sit in a hot car is that bad for them? Say 100 degrees in the vehicle? My experience says no unless it was in the direct sunlight on the dash or something. Warm would be in this case maybe 10 degrees above room temp..
I did leave my 435 sitting on the car seat one day. When I came back out of the store, the sun was beaming right on the 436. Its LCD display was black as can be instead of the normal light shade of grey you see when they are powered off.
The housing was so hot that you could not hold it in your hand for more than a few seconds!
I suspected it would power on and probably still work. I was more worried about permanent damage to the LCD display.

I let it cool until the display returned to a normal look and then powered it on. It worked fine. I really don't think the components on the PCBs inside ever reached the temp that the housing felt like but they were probably not far from it.
It felt hot enough that the housing plastic was probably soft and may have been able to be deformed by applying pressure from your hand and fingers.
That 436 still lives to this day but has had the logic board replaced due to the RTC battery and LED backlight failures.
I probably ran it for a year after overheating the thing before I finally sent it in under the repair campaign.

randyh57

That was going to be my next question, how warm was warm in your opinion. What you describe should be fine and it's a heck of a lot cooler than the SDS100's run after they have been powered on for a short amount of time.

So... is it totally dead as in nothing on the display and no noise or pops at all from the speaker when you hold the power key and try to turn it on? How about then you plug a live USB cable into it, does it ask if you want to start charging?
Not Hot,just warmer like a charging battery maybe..I tried all of the fixes I have seen,tried a different card,different batteries.etc etc.Nothing when plugged into the usb port which is kinda funny because it was Uniden's only suggestion which was try a different cable?? Its just plain old dead..thanks.

randyh57

I did leave my 435 sitting on the car seat one day. When I came back out of the store, the sun was beaming right on the 436. Its LCD display was black as can be instead of the normal light shade of grey you see when they are powered off.
The housing was so hot that you could not hold it in your hand for more than a few seconds!
I suspected it would power on and probably still work. I was more worried about permanent damage to the LCD display.

I let it cool until the display returned to a normal look and then powered it on. It worked fine. I really don't think the components on the PCBs inside ever reached the temp that the housing felt like but they were probably not far from it.
It felt hot enough that the housing plastic was probably soft and may have been able to be deformed by applying pressure from your hand and fingers.
That 436 still lives to this day but has had the logic board replaced due to the RTC battery and LED backlight failures.
I probably ran it for a year after overheating the thing before I finally sent it in under the repair campaign.
Wow thats tough on electronics,heat is the worst enemy from my experience. Glad you like it,Hope I will learn to enjoy it more after its fixed..

stingray327

Its a buggy expensive Scanner,I realize its a dying hobby for those who make them so they are not going to be what they once were. At least they could speed up the process as they have to know its full of bugs and have some decent CS people..The person I spoke to was clueless when questioned...Sign of the times.
Don't invoices come after a purchase :unsure:

It is a dying hobby with people not able to get customer support. The sales people know nothing about scanner and just refer you to website which is only as good or bad as to how tolerant people on it are.
But I would be curious as to what the news media does and which brand they use since they use these scanners as a tool to their livelihood?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
It is a dying hobby with people not able to get customer support. The sales people know nothing about scanner and just refer you to website which is only as good or bad as to how tolerant people on it are.
But I would be curious as to what the news media does and which brand they use since they use these scanners as a tool to their livelihood?
Sounds depressing

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm retired now as a newsman but I work part-time in a news service and maintain the four SDS 200's permanently adhered to the desks as we have had several apx Motorola radios stolen. I personally use an apx 7000.

randyh57

OK well Uniden got the Scanner fixed.Replaced the Control Board,Now I have to remember how to Program it again..I have it backed up so should be good to go..Took them 6 weeks though.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thanks have had it running for a few hours and reception is 5 times better than before both Digital and Analog...It must have had a problem from day one.. I might keep it after all!;)
Sounds good!

Status
Not open for further replies.