Be Careful with the 436HP SD Card Holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris45

I mention this concern because the SD card holder in the BCD436HP is both delicate and flimsy. If you are too rough opening it the tin clamp will pop off, and it is a real pain to put back on. Also, before putting a different SD card in, inspect the dimensions of your replacement with the card that came with the unit. My 32gb SanDisk looked identical, but it was very slightly thicker.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I mention this concern because the SD card holder in the BCD436HP is both delicate and flimsy. If you are too rough opening it the tin clamp will pop off, and it is a real pain to put back on. Also, before putting a different SD card in, inspect the dimensions of your replacement with the card that came with the unit. My 32gb SanDisk looked identical, but it was very slightly thicker.

Thank you for this warning!

I thought what I was seeing was just a cover for the SD card not the actual micro SD card itself, now I am not so sure.

Isn't the SD card in a slot?

Surely this metal cage is not meant to hold the SD card against the contacts, if so I cannot see how this would be very dependable over time.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
I had a GPS with a similarly-flimsy card holder in the battery compartment, and once I lost the card in the field while changing the batteries. After that mistake I put electrical tape over the card holder. I plan to do the same with my 436.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It looks like this. You slide the microsd into the silver lid and then close. Then push into the lock position. The SanDisk 32 GB should fit, if inserted in the slot of the lid correctly.

Attachments

• microsd socket.JPG
    microsd socket.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 598

Chris45

Card Holder

It looks like this. You slide the microsd into the silver lid and then close. Then push into the lock position. The SanDisk 32 GB should fit, if inserted in the slot of the lid correctly.

Considering the number of these units that have or will be purchased - (Uniden Now Out of Stock for the 436HP), I would anticipate others having some difficulty with this arrangement. I agree that a small piece of electrical tape would be good insurance for the card. The tin holder slides under two thin plastic corners to secure the card. If they break or crack it would cause major problems.

My suggestion for the future of SD Cards in scanners would follow the PSR-800 design, or another version of push to lock and release the card.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I have 9 different devices that use SD cards or cards like the SD cards and everyone of them use spring-loaded slots. Easy to use and it is easy to handle the cards properly.

So this different design is NEW to me!

I guess I will have to be very careful and order a card reader for my new computer to cut down on how many times I need to access my SD card in my 436.

Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.