beam antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayWolfSA58

Back in the old days on CBs we use to have 3 element beams, and we stacked them side by side also known as stacked 3s, what would happened if you set up two scanner beams the same way side by side? Say if the beam was +20db gain would it increase to like 40db gain or would this not do anything more than one beam would? thanks for any replies.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi R and readers,

No, you would gain a paltry 3dB only. An H stack as it's called won't do nearly as well as adding 3 more elements and extending the boom. Stacked threes are eaten alive by a Moonraker 6 and I think you just may remember that. BTW, how the heck do you get 20dB gain from a 3el Yagi? I'd just LOVE to know your secret! (;->)

Oh, I once knew a CBer called High Pockets who took the Moonraker Challenge. After that we called him Hot Pockets, we burned his A big time. YEE-HAAAAA!

GrayWolfSA58

kb2vxa said:
Hi R and readers,

No, you would gain a paltry 3dB only. An H stack as it's called won't do nearly as well as adding 3 more elements and extending the boom. Stacked threes are eaten alive by a Moonraker 6 and I think you just may remember that. BTW, how the heck do you get 20dB gain from a 3el Yagi? I'd just LOVE to know your secret! (;->)

Oh, I once knew a CBer called High Pockets who took the Moonraker Challenge. After that we called him Hot Pockets, we burned his A big time. YEE-HAAAAA!
YRS ago I had the moonracker 6 also the Big gun antenna

RISC777

* * OFF Topic

kb2vxa said:
If at first you don't succeed try a bigger hammer.
If you STILL don't succeed explosives should do it.

Does this apply to fishing ?

kb2vxa

Banned
Lash, what's a moonracker?

Al, they float so I lashed them to rocks with rubber bands. They proved useless, big fish like carp came nose to nose with the explosions and calmly swam away. That's why rednecks use dynamite and soldiers use hand grenades.

Moe: Hey puddin' head, wataya doin' in there?
Curly: I'm playin' radio Moe, NYUK NYUK NYUK NYUK! WOO WOO WOO WOooob. EEEEHHHH!

See what you started Doug? (;->)

RISC777

Well, if I started something... oops.
I could continue wasting time with my best carp recipe...

VintageJon

Well, before this became a fish story, it sounded like RLash was talking about a Phased-Array.

Never had one, but did have a Moonraker 4 element that I measured 30dB over a 1/2 wave ground plane off of. Pile-Of-Junk-In-The-Sky but it was a mother for gain. Talked to the whole world on 12W SSB- Aussies, The Brits, The Pacific Islands, everyone.
Ahh, the 11M days... (CQ, CQ DX...)

Fixing to build a 866MHz 15 Element beam to test against 1/4 Wave. I expect everything and I expect nothing, will post results when I get around to the execution of plan.

73's,
Jon

GrayWolfSA58

VintageJon said:
Well, before this became a fish story, it sounded like RLash was talking about a Phased-Array.

Never had one, but did have a Moonraker 4 element that I measured 30dB over a 1/2 wave ground plane off of. Pile-Of-Junk-In-The-Sky but it was a mother for gain. Talked to the whole world on 12W SSB- Aussies, The Brits, The Pacific Islands, everyone.
Ahh, the 11M days... (CQ, CQ DX...)

Fixing to build a 866MHz 15 Element beam to test against 1/4 Wave. I expect everything and I expect nothing, will post results when I get around to the execution of plan.

73's,
Jon
sounds intresting

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi again (nyuk),

"Originally Posted by kb2vxa
Lash, what's a moonracker?

"Sounds painful!"

Less painful than a nut cracker.

"...but did have a Moonraker 4 element that I measured 30dB over a 1/2 wave ground plane..."

No you didn't, Hallicrafters had the one and only calibrated S meter, 50uV at the antenna terminals for S9. Even so it went way out of cal as the circuits aged. The only way you could have done it accurately is to have set up at an antenna test range or inside an anechoic chamber and used NIST calibrated laboratory equipment. All you proved is that a beam has considerable gain over a ground plane which is the proper reference (not that BS dBi crap) but just how much is questionable.

Oh and another thing, the proper way to call CQ on CB is "How 'bout it skipland skipland skipland, this is the Tower of Power, the man of the hour comin' acha from the top of the Gorilla Building in beautiful downtown New York lookin' over the tri-state area, the Staten Island Fairy (Is that the John F. Kennedy, the Verazano or Tinker Bell?) and all the ships at sea..." Keep this one sentence monologue up for at least half an hour before you unkey and see what comes back or if they're all bored to tears and went to another channel.

"CQ CQ CQ DX, this is kilowatt bravo two victor X-ray alpha, kilowatt bravo two victor X-ray alpha calling CQ DX and listening." works for me, I'm a ham and I know it. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.