BEARCAT 100 Model (circa 1985) Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioskip1

I've searched for info on my Bearcat 100 model, 16 channel programmable, portable scanner and can't find much. I need to know what AC adapter it came with. Currently it's operating on 6 AA NiMH installed in two tubes placed inside the metal case. The 25-year-old model has a "Caution" beside the jack saying, "use only rechargeable batteries installed properly when using specified AC charger." Before I start poking chargers in the hole it would be nice to what Bearcat supplied. Thanks

gary123

I believe that the charger was a 12v dc charger. The charger is definatly a center positive 2.5mm. They were an nice unit, the aliminum case meant they could take a lot more punishement than the plastic cases most scanners used during that time period.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I've searched for info on my Bearcat 100 model, 16 channel programmable, portable scanner and can't find much. I need to know what AC adapter it came with. Currently it's operating on 6 AA NiMH installed in two tubes placed inside the metal case. The 25-year-old model has a "Caution" beside the jack saying, "use only rechargeable batteries installed properly when using specified AC charger." Before I start poking chargers in the hole it would be nice to what Bearcat supplied. Thanks

It's a 12v power supply, Scanner Master carries replacements for them along with car power cords if you want one of them also.

radioskip1

Interesting how quick you can find things out when you post a question here on the Radio Reference site! Thanks everybody! And Gary you are right, the black/bronze, full-metal jacket, is pretty amazing. I think it was priced around $429 in the mid-80's. And ScanCHS I think I might have that adaptor. Thanks for the photograph. radioskip1

Bucko

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
I had one back in about 1983 and it was a great unit! My first handheld. Unfortunately I fried it by putting the batteries in backwards. It had a screw in antenna . . . .

:cool:

fineshot1

It was a earlier model than that one. The wife bought mine for me late 1983, it did have a heavy duty case but the audio really lacked( at least on mine). However I was tickled to have a hand held that I could program in stead of using crystals. Here it is BC100 - The RadioReference Wiki

I guess I should have looked in the RR wiki first.

Yes - that is the model I had also. I had some problems with my unit.

The battery compartment tubes had the contacts in them and if they
got damaged or corroded evenly slightly the batteries loose contact
a lot and that was so frustrating to me I had to get rid of it eventually
for a newer RS model.

radioskip1

Bearcat 100 (1983-85) 16 ch scanning radio

Here's what I have. I've been charging it with a 12DVC 300mA adapter. It's loaded with six NiMH AAs. I'm sure they weren't around in the 80's and NiCADs would of been used. Actually I use Rayovac because the Duracell NiMH are too fat for the little tubes you slide the batteries into.

Attachments

• Bearcat100.jpg
    Bearcat100.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 3,059

radioskip1

And yes, Bucko, the little speaker in the Bearcat 100 puts out 'crappy' audio. Have you ever experimented with external computer speakers? I have some Logitech powered units (LS-11) that were on sale at Staples. You can make a little 'Y' splitter cable with parts from Radio Shack and run one scanner on the left channel and a different scanner on the right channel. I currently just have the mini-phone jack from the speakers into a mono, mini-phone jack adapter, that I keep in my BCD396T. The sound is amazing out of the two, 2 inch, enclosed desktop speakers, with lots of mid and bass tones!

typesix

To program for searching:

-Put in Manual mode
-Type in freq(it doesn't matter whether you type in lower or higher limit first)
-Press Limit
-Type in freq
-Press Limit

Search limits are now set, to Search:

-Press Manual, then Search

These directions are for a 100XL, but should be same for your 100.
I like the audio the best on the 100XL of my three programmable portables(Pro-43, HX-1500), strong and crisp. Don't like the battery bounce that erases all freq and the long squelch tail. Plus it has the biggest display.

The Bearcat 100 uses 6, 1.2 volt rechargeble batteries (originally nicads). The Charger/power supply is Model AC100U. It is printed on the back of the unit. It has a 7.2 volt output. I have the scanner and the power supply. It still works like new. The last I checked, Uniden still sells the AC 100U power supply.

joeymore

BC100XL charger

BC 100XL
Ihave the charger is says uniden on it & it is:
Input: AC 120V 60hz 5watts
output DC 12v 200MA

joeymore@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.