Bearcat 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
First of all what is wrong with it? You might be able to have a authorized Uniden repairer look at it.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have a Bearcat 101 that my wife gave me for a wedding present 35 years ago. I think it was the first synthasyzed scanner on the market. Does anyone know someone who might be able to repair it?

I've seen a lot of those over the past year or three that have bad memory chips in them. I saw a post at one time where a guy found a different memory chip that worked but it was quite a hack as it used an entirely different type of refresh signal to retain the memory contents from what I recall. I tried a few years back to find the memory chips that guy had used and those were no longer available just like the originals that Electra used in the 101's.
I know some still have working 101's but I think that many have failed. Especially the ones that were powered up 24x7 for years on end.
Every single one I worked on had the failed memory chips.
Maybe someone else has found a substitute chip that will work but I have not searched for it in a long time. I seriously doubt a pin for pin replacement will ever be found.
The old RadioShack Pro-2001 scanners also suffered from the same failure but they used a different chip. I was able to find a few spares at one time from a guy overseas that working in the 2001.

Good luck.

sjlamb

You can pick up a working one on eBay for around 10 bucks.... or less. Repairing the one you have would cost a service charge of at least $50.... and possibly much more depeneding on what is wrong.

Squad10

Your 101 may have a simple issue like mine has had.

If not frequently used, the Scan/Manual, Ready/Enter, and 16 channel switch contacts become oxidized. I quickly and repeatly throw the Ready/Enter and 16 channel switches to correct the loss of connection.

The Scan/Manual switch contacts (see pic) may be oxidized. I've corrected this condition by opening the scanner then using a pencil eraser to gently and carefully clean the pin contacts. The round metal contact on the plastic paddle should also be cleaned.

The 101 was my first synthesized scanner. I built a DC/AC inverter so I could use it in my 1975 Monte Carlo. It fit perfectly under the driver seat. The audio was nice and loud from its internal speaker.

Attachments

• BC101 Scan Man switch.jpg
    BC101 Scan Man switch.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,899

K9WG

You can pick up a working one on eBay for around 10 bucks.... or less. Repairing the one you have would cost a service charge of at least $50.... and possibly much more depeneding on what is wrong.
Since it was a wedding gift from his wife it is probably worth more then a $10 replacment :D

Corner of Berrien, Cass & Van Buren Counties,
Sorry for such a delay in posting again and THANKS for all the suggestions. The problem I have is that the unit does not recognize channel 3. It skips right past that channel like it does not exits. I have cleaned the contacts and checked for a loose connedtion. I even picked up another used unit and it has the same problem but on channel 14. I do have the schematic for it so I may see if a friend can take a look at it.

mjl7593

Sorry for such a delay in posting again and THANKS for all the suggestions. The problem I have is that the unit does not recognize channel 3. It skips right past that channel like it does not exits. I have cleaned the contacts and checked for a loose connedtion. I even picked up another used unit and it has the same problem but on channel 14. I do have the schematic for it so I may see if a friend can take a look at it.

Sounds exactly like a problem that I ran into with my 101, but it was #13 that it skipped on mine. After some testing, I discovered that the #13 LED was no good. After replacing the LED, channel 13 now works. I'm assuming that the LED has to be conducting in circuit in order for the logic circuit to recognize it. I am curious though... I have two issues with my 101. First issue is a bit of a hum that is only prominent on VHF HI frequencies and especially on UHF frequencies. LO band audio is not effected by this. Secondly, does anyone know of a friend of a friend of someone who might actually have a full Electra factory service manual collecting dust somewhere to help a guy out? I've searched and searched with no luck other than "SAMS SD-10" and mods.dk. The info helps, but falls short of a BC-101 bible such as the one available for the Bearcat III. Sorry for the long post!

Status
Not open for further replies.